Live pitching during practice??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
I'm not sure why you think someone might get hurt? The way I understood the post is "should batters and pitchers use live pitching during practice?". Absolutely; BUT only if a) the pitchers are allowed to throw their best pitches in an attempt to get the batter out; b) the drill is not "batting practice" where the pitcher is just throwing strikes down the middle of the plate; c) and you rotate your pitchers so no one pitcher throws more pitches than their usual pitch count.

This is a win/win situation for both the pitcher and batter. If the above "rules" are followed, how is the likelihood of injury increased?

I think it should be used occasionally and did do it for my team.

There is always a risk of injury when a pitcher is facing a live batter. I heard this past weekend at a local 10U tournament a pitcher was hit in the face with a line drive and was pretty badly hurt. In our district final a week and a half ago our girls hit two of the opposing team's pitchers with line drives (fortunately not in the face...one in the arm the other in the leg). So there is certainly added risk of injury as opposed to using a pitching machine or having an adult pitch.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I think it should be used occasionally and did do it for my team.

There is always a risk of injury when a pitcher is facing a live batter. I heard this past weekend at a local 10U tournament a pitcher was hit in the face with a line drive and was pretty badly hurt. In our district final a week and a half ago our girls hit two of the opposing team's pitchers with line drives (fortunately not in the face...one in the arm the other in the leg). So there is certainly added risk of injury as opposed to using a pitching machine or having an adult pitch.

I think the pitchers "protect" themselves by throwing their best stuff. We also occassionally use live pitching, but mostly during a practice scrimmage amongst team members (6 on 6). If a batter doesn't face good, live pitching how can we expect them to perform well in a game? I see the risk of injury if the pitcher is only throwing, down the middle, strikes (i.e. batting practice). In that case, a screen would be well advised.

Oct 19, 2009
I think the pitchers "protect" themselves by throwing their best stuff. We also occassionally use live pitching, but mostly during a practice scrimmage amongst team members (6 on 6). If a batter doesn't face good, live pitching how can we expect them to perform well in a game? I see the risk of injury if the pitcher is only throwing, down the middle, strikes (i.e. batting practice). In that case, a screen would be well advised.

I agree I would not let my daughter pitch BB when a coach told her to go half speed. I told him this how she protected herself by pitching full spead.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
pitching net

If and when i do have my pitchers throw live BP and to me it is up to each coach there really is no right or wrong...I set up a net that has a hole in the middle for the pitcher to throw through...definitely limits the chance of injury...also there are machines that can throw different pitches....expensive??? YES but probably worth it!!

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
At this link, Angela Tincher pitching ..... batting practice for the pros.

YouTube - ‪Angela Tincher Pitching to Katie Cochran in Practice‬‎

(They did a mix: slappers used the screen, and some of the hitters hit off AT.)

I can see if you have lots of games in a row, you might not need it, but for everyone else, I say YES.
She does throw some in practice. I went to several camps at Virginia Tech. She threw us BP from behind a screen. I was much younger, so she worked her change-up. ;-) Plenty fast for the age I was though and I did get some hits off of her!

Aug 8, 2010
No, It just waste time. Coach should pitch for live batting practice and hit for infield practice. We set up a net 25 feet away and i pitch to them, also use a tee and pitching machine. Your true pitcher will throw 150 to 200 pitchs a day, so she will not be scared to throw inside or outside. I have seen girls throw 600-700 pitchs on one day at tournaments. But you dont want you infield and outfield standing around while your pitcher pitchs and your batter just takes alot of pitchs.

Thats my opinon

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA