Little League Softball pitching rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
A player may not pitch in more than twelve (12) innings in a day.

If a player pitches in less than seven (7) innings in a calendar day, no rest is required.

If a player pitches in seven (7) or more innings in a calendar day, one day’s rest is required. This also
applies between regular season games following Tournament elimination or Special Games following the.

Good to know there is at least one organization that cares as much about little girls as they do boys. And also requires you to develop more than one pitcher if you want to compete.

Jun 8, 2016
On the other end of the spectrum, I have been following the 12U USA All American games. The Region 5 (basically TX) Stars team starter (who is quite good for a 12U kid..) in the championship game has thrown 284 pitches today going into the championship game. One would think in one of these types of All Star tournaments every pitcher would be used somewhat equally but I guess winning trumps everything no matter what the circumstance for some people..

Here is the livestream link in case you want to see her arm fall off..(actually the camera is so far away you probably wouldn't be able to see it fall off unless it went flying 50 ft towards the camera..)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
On the other end of the spectrum, I have been following the 12U USA All American games. The Region 5 (basically TX) Stars team starter (who is quite good for a 12U kid..) in the championship game has thrown 284 pitches today going into the championship game. One would think in one of these types of All Star tournaments every pitcher would be used somewhat equally but I guess winning trumps everything no matter what the circumstance for some people..

Here is the livestream link in case you want to see her arm fall off..(actually the camera is so far away you probably wouldn't be able to see it fall off unless it went flying 50 ft towards the camera..)

Final tally for the day 360 pitches..but hey they won.

Jun 8, 2016
Way too many. I assume that is not even including warm up before the game and innings?
That could add a 100 pitches or so.
Yeah..just game pitches from GameChanger. The team played 5 games today and she pitched in every one of them. Like I said that is bad enough for a regular TB team/tournament nevermind an “All American” team where all the kids are probably pretty good (and from the TB teams they drew from I am sure they were pretty good..)

Jun 8, 2016
Because they care more about a W than the health and longevity of that 12 year old girl.
Agreed but what about the parents? Ultimately their child’s well being is their responsibility..unless “ they” included them too..

May 13, 2021
Agreed but what about the parents? Ultimately their child’s well being is their responsibility..unless “ they” included them too..
I absolutely included them. However there are parents that put there trust in these coaches especially at that level, and those coaches should know better. I would not have allowed that, even if it meant leaving the team.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
The southern version of Little League is Dixie Youth ... Pitching rules are tougher than LL in my opinion. A good thing.

We would always get to the season ending tournaments and NEVER have enough pitching to compete. In reality, following the rules, you would need at least 4 pitchers to advance. With our local rules, shortened season and a cap on roster size, it wasn't going to happen ... Unless of course you were one of the travel teams masquerading as a Rec team.

One year, we had one pitcher, 4 or 5 athletic girls and 4 or 5 that were just figuring out which hand the glove goes on to chase butterflies with ... Our pitcher threw a few good innings and we either had to save her or she was out of innings, I forget which ... So for the final 3 innings I inserted an athletic girl on the rubber to get us by ... They did their job ... To end the game, one of them plunked the first batter, struck out the second, plunked the 3rd, struck out the 4th, plunked the 5th loading the bases and then K'd the 6th ... Afterwards I realized what had happened and complimented the 4 pitchers for combining on throwing a no hitter ... The one who closed out the game raised her hand and said "What do you mean coach ? I hit 3 of them."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516