Little League Rant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Guys and gals (Joe, you'll love it)--read the "confused" thread in the "Coaching Softball" forum.

After reading that thread, it is quite clear to me that Joe was aberration...my confidence is back.

Jun 3, 2009
Unless it's changed from last year the only Little League softball rule related to signals is that the pitcher must take the signal (or appear to be taking the signal) with hands separated, while on the pitching plate, with the ball in either her glove or her hand. There's no mention of where she can take that signal from.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Sluggers- That post was funny. I kept thinking about the movie scrooge. I think I just saw the ghost of softball future. It's not to late. You to can change. I see it now. Lol.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ROFL...that is too funny...

As an FYI...I was an awful softball Daddy. When my DD was a HS sophomore, my DD's pitching coach, a guy who had been coaching for more than 20 years, told me when my DD was a sophomore that I was acting like an idiot (he didn't use the word idiot...). I thought about it, and started looking at things differently. So, I feel like I'm a charter member of "Softball Parents Anonymous".

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
ROFL...that is too funny...

As an FYI...I was an awful softball Daddy. When my DD was a HS sophomore, my DD's pitching coach, a guy who had been coaching for more than 20 years, told me when my DD was a sophomore that I was acting like an idiot (he didn't use the word idiot...). I thought about it, and started looking at things differently. So, I feel like I'm a charter member of "Softball Parents Anonymous".

LOL - Sounds like you're a "recovering" crazy daddy success story! I thought I was cured this season and could watch from behind the screen between the dugouts, but quickly realized that I was in danger of relapse and had to return to my traditional RF fence spot. Recovery is a daily challenge (at least until DD stops playing).

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The only way to keep from relapsing, is not to go to the games. Two weeks ago, I found myself on my feet running towards the dugout, because my student had been brought in from LF, to pitch. She didn't have her mask, so I was yelling "She needs her Gameface!" Can you imagine what people thought, that had no idea what a Gameface was?

May 14, 2010
No, if it happens at all, then there is already an issue.

If my players are looking anywhere outside the fence, then it means they are not fully focused on the task at hand. Even if only one other team has any real big hitters, a good third of the girls in the league are capable of hitting a real shot if they get the right pitch and if someone's daughter is not completely dialed into the game for whatever reason, she could get hurt.

I don't allow conversations between players and parents while they're in the dugout or in the field at practice or during games. These kids may be our daughters, and this may only be rec ball, but by committing to coming out and practicing and playing with this team, they have earned the right to be treated like real athletes.

There are no in-game mechanical adjustments. If a pitcher develops an issue that she cannot work her way out of, then she's either relieved or we take our lumps. During a game, the only adjustments are in strategy, not mechanics.

This was all spelled out to my parents and players at the start of the season and I have yet to have any problems or complaints.

Again, what is the situation? In 12U rec ball, where the coaches are the people that show up sober to an organizational meeting, I am expected to bow to their wisdom? When half the team is busy asking their parents for candy during the game? The coaches are on their phones during games? I am not supposed to offer encouragement to my daughter and say 'Hit it Hard'?

I have the expectation of behaved, quiet parents in the 18U tb team I coach. Since I am coaching that team, I don't have the time to dedicate to my other daughter's team. But I attend her games. If she is struggling, and the coaches are checking out the Single Mom's, I am not above reminding her to check her 'arm circle'. Guess that makes me a bad parent. Sucks because I am already a worthless coach since I have a dd on my 18U team.

Sometimes wish this forum wasn't so absolute and condemning in it's beliefs. There are hundreds of differing situations out there. Wasn't aware that some people have all the answers. Later.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Again, what is the situation? In 12U rec ball, where the coaches are the people that show up sober to an organizational meeting, I am expected to bow to their wisdom? When half the team is busy asking their parents for candy during the game? The coaches are on their phones during games? I am not supposed to offer encouragement to my daughter and say 'Hit it Hard'?

I have the expectation of behaved, quiet parents in the 18U tb team I coach. Since I am coaching that team, I don't have the time to dedicate to my other daughter's team. But I attend her games. If she is struggling, and the coaches are checking out the Single Mom's, I am not above reminding her to check her 'arm circle'. Guess that makes me a bad parent. Sucks because I am already a worthless coach since I have a dd on my 18U team.

Sometimes wish this forum wasn't so absolute and condemning in it's beliefs. There are hundreds of differing situations out there. Wasn't aware that some people have all the answers. Later.

Well first of all don't take what one or two people say and then extend that to being the forum's sole opinion.

And I think there is a vast difference between a simple reminders shouted out by you, like check your arm circle or cheering your girl on by saying hit the ball hard, and the guy who talks to his kid so much she never looks for the sign from the 3rd base coach. Or the guy who demands that his child check with him before she throws a pitch so he can approve of the pitch selection. Its not all cut and dry and there are 100s of shades of gray between black and white. Take what you read and if you can apply it, great, if not then that's great too.

When my son still played ball, I started saying something to him before every at bat. Just one thing I don't even know for sure if he heard me. I continued to say it to my DD and its all I say. "See a pitch you like and hit it hard" no mechanical advice, no demand that they acknowledge me. Just a mental reminder to be selectively aggressive. Meanwhile, I hear some dads correcting stance, load, grip, swing, pitch selection... So when I hear people say, they don't want to hear Dad saying a word to their kids from the stands, I always assume they mean the guy who won't shut up, not the guy who offers simple encouragement.

Jan 31, 2011
Slugger, you crack me up. At first I was gonna go down the road of his DD getting no direction from her coach, but heck with that. I say get in the dug out and call the pitches. Why should I be the only one not able to sit back and enjoy a game. I seem to always get roped into "helping"...When you "help" you can't enjoy the game because now you are coaching! lol.

BTW, that rec umpire needs to relax, its just rec ball!

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I always assume they mean the guy who won't shut up, not the guy who offers simple encouragement.

I agree.

I did learn fairly early though...that my dd would use..."looking at me and wanting advice/instruction during a game" as a crutch.

My biggest life lesson I wanted her to learn was to make decisions. So even when i was coaching her as head coach...i just started telling her to "work it out" and pointed to my brain. She knew what to check in her mechanics. That became our major signal. I can't think of anything i said or did prior...that really helped her during a game except one time.

It was from this forum that someone said “you ain’t going to change mechanics in a game” and “talking about the game afterwards was more useful” etc. That became our way of doing things and I think it was really helpful.

She works it out now and she doesn't look at me during games now unless she is hurting.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck