Little League Rant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I thought as long as the pitcher takes the slab and then appears to take a signal from the catcher she is OK. Isn't this one of those rules that is in place to keep pitchers from quick pitching, or gaining momentum by taking the mound and moving directly into their motion?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There are other rules in place to prevent the quick pitch. I think the "may" is in place for pitchers, like my DD, who do not take any signs at all. If the pitchers does take a sign it must be C or Dugout.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is not an illegal pitch to look at your dad, while you are in the circle.
I am glad that someone, anyone is calling the pitches. I think that my DD went all through HS, without having the pitches called. Even now, no one is calling the pitches for my students. Maybe you could work with the catcher, so she can experiment on calling the game. If not, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Maybe LL is better where you are, but I am not seeing a lot of skill around here. Also, here you wouldn't have been allowed in the dugout, unless you were listed as a coach and had had a background check.

Sep 3, 2009
Since the "rec" coach doesn't know or understand how to call pitches, why not teach your DD to call her own pitches? You could teach the "rec" coach too. Neither will get it right for a while but at least you aren't going to be the crutch for them.

I'd go a step further. Help the coach (she's already ASKED for your help) know the signs, and how/when to call them. You help a fellow coach, and you get to stay out of your dd's game. win/win in my opinion.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
It is not an illegal pitch to look at your dad, while you are in the circle.
I am glad that someone, anyone is calling the pitches. I think that my DD went all through HS, without having the pitches called. Even now, no one is calling the pitches for my students. Maybe you could work with the catcher, so she can experiment on calling the game. If not, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Maybe LL is better where you are, but I am not seeing a lot of skill around here. Also, here you wouldn't have been allowed in the dugout, unless you were listed as a coach and had had a background check.

Amy- The competition around her in LL is poor at best. Looking back, I should teach my DD to be able to call her own game. The cathers are struggling with simply keeping the ball in the glove. I should clarify, that I was not calling every pitch. She would throw whatever she wanted early in at bats. She would look to me when she was ahead in the count. She would flash me a sign or shrug and ask for a suggestion. I would either shake and say yes or offer up a different pitch. It wasn't until the umpire approached her, that I was asked to call from the dugout and called all the pitches. I was wrong for doing what I did from the foul line. We are almost through the season and she has developed the habit of looking to me. Sluggers was right. For her development, I need to let her be when she is on someone elses team. I still do not agree with approaching the player. I know I am coming across like a PITA parent. I honestly do just sit down the fould line and not say anything. I just need some work on letting go. I guess as parents we occasionally need practice to.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Joe, you are making me doubt my ability to accurately predict softball parents...

Look at this stuff as teaching your DD about dealing with life. Let her deal with it, but you make suggestions after the game of better ways it could have been done. It really is very important to know how to discuss complex problems (i.e., problems without a clear solution) with your DD and offer suggestions.

She isn't always going to need help just with whether to throw a drop or rise...consider this as practice for a more sophisticated father-daughter relationship in the future.

May 14, 2010
While I agree in principle with what most everyone is saying, is there anyone that has had a daughter play softball that has never 'assisted' from the stands?
If I notice a flaw in dd's pitching motion and it goes on for several batters and the coaches don't say anything, I am not above offering a suggestion, such as 'Release Point' or 'Arm Speed'. I don't scream it at her or anything, but I don't feel, at her age and level of play, that she should just flounder along repeating an incorrect motion inning after inning.
What about when your daughter is hitting? Never said anything? Not even "Swing at Strikes" or "Hit it Hard"? Everyone else just sits in the stands without uttering a word? Wow.
Because I fail to see the line between occasionally helping your 12u dd select a pitch and offering productive verbal guidance. Either can be construed as 'Coaching'. What is the difference between what Joe was occasionally doing from foul line and sitting in the bleachers saying "Keep the bat head up" after your daughter pops a bunt in the air foul? I think we have all done it.
The key here, for me, is the occasional part. If it becomes a continual thing, that is an issue.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If you are in the stands, you should *NEVER* coach your DD. The coach should be doing it. You can make a list of things to discuss with her after the game, but not during the game.

The good coaches will take your DD out of a game quicker than you can say "watch the ball" if they think she is getting advice from her Dad.

Why would you want to?" Sports generally is a ridiculously insignificant part of life. What better place to let your DD "try out her wings" without you than during a silly little softball game? If you don't trust her to figure a few things out during a softball game, exactly when do you plan on letting her go?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
While I agree in principle with what most everyone is saying, is there anyone that has had a daughter play softball that has never 'assisted' from the stands?
If I notice a flaw in dd's pitching motion and it goes on for several batters and the coaches don't say anything, I am not above offering a suggestion, such as 'Release Point' or 'Arm Speed'. I don't scream it at her or anything, but I don't feel, at her age and level of play, that she should just flounder along repeating an incorrect motion inning after inning.
What about when your daughter is hitting? Never said anything? Not even "Swing at Strikes" or "Hit it Hard"? Everyone else just sits in the stands without uttering a word? Wow.
Because I fail to see the line between occasionally helping your 12u dd select a pitch and offering productive verbal guidance. Either can be construed as 'Coaching'. What is the difference between what Joe was occasionally doing from foul line and sitting in the bleachers saying "Keep the bat head up" after your daughter pops a bunt in the air foul? I think we have all done it.
The key here, for me, is the occasional part. If it becomes a continual thing, that is an issue.
No, if it happens at all, then there is already an issue.

If my players are looking anywhere outside the fence, then it means they are not fully focused on the task at hand. Even if only one other team has any real big hitters, a good third of the girls in the league are capable of hitting a real shot if they get the right pitch and if someone's daughter is not completely dialed into the game for whatever reason, she could get hurt.

I don't allow conversations between players and parents while they're in the dugout or in the field at practice or during games. These kids may be our daughters, and this may only be rec ball, but by committing to coming out and practicing and playing with this team, they have earned the right to be treated like real athletes.

There are no in-game mechanical adjustments. If a pitcher develops an issue that she cannot work her way out of, then she's either relieved or we take our lumps. During a game, the only adjustments are in strategy, not mechanics.

This was all spelled out to my parents and players at the start of the season and I have yet to have any problems or complaints.

Oct 18, 2009
DD's 12u tb team has a strict no coaching or even speaking to your dd during games or practice. Cheering is allowed but no instruction. Parents who do try to instruct get their kids on the bench. The girls need to focus on the game. The game is hard enough without having to listen to their crazy parent in the stands. Either become a coach in the dugout or sit in the stands, cheer and let them play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck