Little League, 9 & 10 year old, Tournament - 5 Run Rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We ended up not having enough girls signup for allstars... It was the same in a couple of other towns that we inter-league with... Is this something "new", to have parents not want to sign up their kids for allstars? I know with travel ball and summer vacations, it can be an interference, but... It used to be an honor to and goal of the season to play well enough to make allstars and rep' the league in the tournament. Now we can't get but 5 or 6 girls to say yes, and 1 or 2 of them were reluctant...

Also from LL umpires or officials, why does LL change the Minor league rules for allstars to match LL (Majors) rules? the 9 & 10 year old allstars is still Minor league and in a lot of cases struggling to field good pitchers. Why take away the 5-run rule for allstars. I heard a lot of parents in our town and others say that was why their 9 & 10 year olds wouldn't play. I think that aspect outways the "nature of the game" or anything possibly lost in a 5-run rule....

- First LL did not remove the 5 run rule... your local league ADDED it (as is their right) for local play. If you have the best players on the AllStars team they should be able to handle real softball at this age

- None of this is new. The best players go to travel which has grown to a point where it is preferred in most cases. Baseball is prioritized in 99% of Little Leagues so going to travel softball is great where it is the #1 priority. Even in strong Little League areas - and their isn't many of those for softball - AllStars is uneven - and you will run into a travel team masquerading as a AllStar team sooner or later - normally after you have traveled across state.

Feb 17, 2013
South Texas
marriard, your point on travel ball is valid and definitely on point.

However,the LL rule book does have 5 run rule listed specifically for Minor League, unless I'm reading rule 5.07 wrong (Rule 5.00 Putting the Ball in Play - Live Ball):
5.07 - When three offensive players are legally put out, that team takes the field and the opposing team becomse the offensive team (side retired). (Minor League: The side is retired when three offensive players are legally put out, called out by an umpire, or when all players on the roster have batted one time in the half-inning or when the offensive team scores five (5) runs. (OPTION: The local league Board of Directors may suspend the five-run rule in the last half-inning for either team.) Tee Ball...)

This is why I'm asking why the change in rules for allstars as opposed to the season. I don't read an option to have it removed for "Minor League" play, and I don't see where our local league "ADDED" it when it's in the book...

Again, I agree that the best play travel, and that is where we're heading as well. I've just always had a soft spot for LL and letting my DD play with friends from school et.al. However she is wanting to improve and continue to play, so we'll move forward and see how that ship sails.... I was just curious about the non-international / minor league allstar rules vs. regular season rules...

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I was just curious about the non-international / minor league allstar rules vs. regular season rules...

They may have changed the rule book since I was involved in LL (the 5 run rule was an option for leagues to use or not use) however for All-Stars the expectation is that you are fielding a team of the best players in your league - so they can play softball and can handle it. You are not meant to have players who can't play or throw and make plays.

All Stars is meant to be the best players you have - and there are teams you will eventually run into if you are winning where having a 5-run rule is totally inappropriate to have in place.

Feb 17, 2013
South Texas
I get that, and in some leagues that's not a difficult task. We have 2 teams with 10 girls each in a small rural area... You get what you get... and actually making the plays in the field isn't the problem. We have some good fielders, it's consistently getting it over the plate from the pitching circle... To have 1 pitcher out of 20 girls would be ok, but to make it through a tournament you really need at least 2 girls, and that is the stretch. I know this is not a unique issue at this age for our area, seen it in other towns as well.... If the 9 & 10 year olds are good enough to be at the level you mention above, they are playing major league in our area. Then the parents don't want to let them play "down" in the 9 & 10 year old / minor league allstars.

Oh well, it really doesn't matter in the end anyway. This may have been the last LL year for us, don't know yet... have to see how she likes travel ball

Jan 21, 2014
Rosamond, CA
The confusion about "minors' playing by "major' rules is where you have your problem.

This is the 8-9-10 (they added '8' this year) division and NOT minors. Some of the players on your team, or others, may have played in the majors for the regular season.

For LL minors, the 5 run rule is no longer an option. The inning ends with 5 runs, 3 outs or when everyone in the lineup bats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse