Little League, 9 & 10 year old, Tournament - 5 Run Rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2013
South Texas
I may be managing our LL's 9 & 10 year old all star team this summer. I've read through the tournament rules and the rest of the rule book, honestly it gets a little confusing as to which rules will be followed for this 9 & 10 year old division. It seems to be minor league rules (11" ball, runners can't leave until batted or reaches batter, 35' pitching distance, etc.) But it doesn't specify if you have to use continual line up like during the season or if the 5-run rule will be in effect like the regular season...

Any ump's or tournament directors or experienced LL parents?

Thanks.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
There is no 5 run rule in the Little League 9-10 tournament.

If you have 12 players, all must play at least two innings defensively and have one at-bat. If 13 or more, then only the one at-bat is required.

You bat 9 in your lineup.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Oh, and the tournament rules are listed in the back of the Little League rule book if you have specific questions. It's pretty thorough and you should have gotten one from your league at the beginning of the season.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
You play by the book in all stars. No run rule per inning. You must get 3 outs. You also play 9 in the field. I believe every player has to also get a minimum of 1 at bat and one inning in the field, but you may want to check that as rules have changed since I was involved 10 years ago.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
There is no 5 run rule in the Little League 9-10 tournament.

If you have 12 players, all must play at least two innings defensively and have one at-bat. If 13 or more, then only the one at-bat is required.

You bat 9 in your lineup.

What he said only to add that the innings must be consecutive (6 consecutive defensive outs). See below from LL Rulebook in the back under Tournament Rules:

IMG_1423 (1).JPG

Feb 17, 2013
South Texas
Thanks everyone. I read the tournament section and get the mandatory play rules and all... The way that section is written is (at least it seems) that it lists the differences between tournament rules and regular season rules. My confusion is in that the regular season rules for minor leagues have continuous batting order, 5-run rule, etc... The prelim's for 9 and 10 year old specials is seemingly minor league with the smaller ball and base running rule, so I was just checking....

We don't have the strongest pitching at this age and it could be a total walk-fest, even for all stars...

Thanks again everyone...

Feb 17, 2013
South Texas
We ended up not having enough girls signup for allstars... It was the same in a couple of other towns that we inter-league with... Is this something "new", to have parents not want to sign up their kids for allstars? I know with travel ball and summer vacations, it can be an interference, but... It used to be an honor to and goal of the season to play well enough to make allstars and rep' the league in the tournament. Now we can't get but 5 or 6 girls to say yes, and 1 or 2 of them were reluctant...

Also from LL umpires or officials, why does LL change the Minor league rules for allstars to match LL (Majors) rules? the 9 & 10 year old allstars is still Minor league and in a lot of cases struggling to field good pitchers. Why take away the 5-run rule for allstars. I heard a lot of parents in our town and others say that was why their 9 & 10 year olds wouldn't play. They didn't want to get into a 20 run walk-fest.... I agree with that... maybe suspend the 5-run rule in the final inning or something, but why remove that protection for that age group when it's in the rules for the regular season? If we would have fielded a team, this would have possibly been an issue for us too. It demoralizes them and doesn't encourage coming back the next season for more. I think that aspect outways the "nature of the game" or anything possibly lost in a 5-run rule....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild