Lessons from a video I made of giving lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but, this hitter is a level to the ball swinger.
Yes she is.

The combination of explaining this to her, Working on using her hands to turn the barrel and working on relationship of the elbows as a concept she sees on videos and comparing it to hers will get us started. I also explain that you do not hit the ball with your hands, you hit it will the barrel. It is a lot of info so I will provide comparative support video so she can kind of teach herself.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Your daughter, in red, is shown with the barrel aligned to the ball prior to barrel transition ..... as in flatten-then-swing. I don't believe that is the type of alignment you wish to be promoting. Your player with the hands issue at least has a favorable hand set .... she just needs to learn to use her hands.
That's interesting to think about. For a pitch that high in the zone I taught her to recognize and level like that. That's pretty good contact on a letters pitch. No pop up.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I would have her split grip about an inch and teach the hand pivot point. Get her doing it all day...everytime she picks up a bat, snap around a hpp...especially on deck.

Get the hpp, a tight hpp...tight V in the rear arm, and her body will adjust to using the correct actions used in a high level swing...promise, not just guessing like video watchers...done it several times.

"Turn the barrel" needs to be a snap...a sudden snap of the barrel around the hands.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I would have her split grip about an inch and teach the hand pivot point. Get her doing it all day...everytime she picks up a bat, snap around a hpp...especially on deck.

I will try that myself here is a few minutes

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Get the hpp, a tight hpp...tight V in the rear arm, and her body will adjust to using the correct actions used in a high level swing...promise, not just guessing like video watchers...done it several times.

"Turn the barrel" needs to be a snap...a sudden snap of the barrel around the hands.

Not, sure if addressed to me. I do watch a lot of video. I have a DD, no students. I keep my mouth shut at all my DD practices( high school, travel & tourney) I do instruct my DD Laura on what I suggest to others.
Before I go this is the coil your looking for with your hitter.
cutchcoil_zpsbc320088.gif

GIF POSTED BY RHC.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Not, sure if addressed to me. I do watch a lot of video. I have a DD, no students. I keep my mouth shut at all my DD practices( high school, travel & tourney) I do instruct my DD Laura on what I suggest to others.

GIF POSTED BY RHC.

No no! You are in the trenches...and open minded.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio

GIF POSTED BY RHC.

Yes it is. This is more what I demonstrated but for her, first time what she was doing "felt" like what I was doing. I decided to accept the exaggerated move for the first day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy