Legit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2014
Ohio
High school softball game:

No one on, two strikes, batter shows bunt (F3 charges in), offers, misses, catcher drops, batter-runner takes off, F4 covers first with right foot on safety base and left in foul territory taking the throw from the catcher from foul territory, first base side. Batter-runner beats the throw but misses the bag over-running it (F4 and BU see this clearly, BU calls her safe). Batter-runner retreats back to first, coach is yelling "she missed the bag," as F4, with the ball, remains silently standing on it - doesn't tag her. BU doesn't call her out.

Everything legit? If no, why?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm not an ump, but this is my understanding...

Out. It's a force play. If the B-R misses the bag, the force is still in effect.

Jun 22, 2008
Will have to double check but fed does allow coaches to initiate appeals. Just not sure if they can during live ball. The appeal has to be made prior to the b/rvreturning to the base and can be done either by tagging the player or the base and telling the umpire what is being appealed. Again will have to double check on the coach trying to make the appeal but it would appear the umpire did not accept his appeal and f4 never said anything so runner safe.

Jun 22, 2008
I'm not an ump, but this is my understanding...

Out. It's a force play. If the B-R misses the bag, the force is still in effect.

By rule, once a runner has passed a base they are assumed to have touched the base until properly appealed. In the case of a batter/runner overrunning 1st base, the appeal must be made prior to the runner returning to the base.

Based on the wording of NFHS 2-1 the appeal may be initiated by either a player or coach. Per the original situation, if F4 was still standing on 1st base and the coach was making the umpire aware of the appeal of missing 1st the appeal should have been honored.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
By rule, once a runner has passed a base they are assumed to have touched the base until properly appealed. In the case of a batter/runner overrunning 1st base, the appeal must be made prior to the runner returning to the base.

Based on the wording of NFHS 2-1 the appeal may be initiated by either a player or coach. Per the original situation, if F4 was still standing on 1st base and the coach was making the umpire aware of the appeal of missing 1st the appeal should have been honored.

Thanks for the correction. I learn a little more every day.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

But 2.1.3.a states that a fielder with possession of the ball must make a live ball appeal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom