Legal release point?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2008
The usual release point is somewhere near the pivot thigh.
The rule says that elbow and wrist needs to be the same distance from the body.
So, are the following legal?

1. Front toe forward with a really really large stride, so large that your pivot shin is parallel to the ground, so that the release point is nearer to the front leg knee than the rear leg knee.
2. Even more extreme than 1. with a larger stride and lower pivot shin, so that the release point is next to the front foot.
3. Like 2, but you swap your legs so that you stride with your right leg and release next to your right foot.
4. Hunch sideway like Chad Bradford, but remain the L shape of your body and the L shape of your arm, so that the smaller L past through fitly the larger L, which means they are the same distance from the body. With the extended distance of the forearm, the torque from arm axial rotation become larger.
5. Normal windmill, except that the whole person is heavily tilted towards 1st base, such that a normal topspin now become a break towards low inside.

Please don't mind the crazyness, read about Chad Bradford recently. :D

Aug 16, 2010
Most associations have a similar rule - I believe the purpose is to prevent a "sidearm" or "submariner" delivery (ala eckersly, sullivan) and maintain true underhand pitch integrity. As such, I think the torso or hip area is probably the point of reference of the body.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Most associations have a similar rule - I believe the purpose is to prevent a "sidearm" or "submariner" delivery (ala eckersly, sullivan) and maintain true underhand pitch integrity. As such, I think the torso or hip area is probably the point of reference of the body.

The release point must be in front of the hip. The ball must start out in front (the hip being the dividing line between front and rear) it must be brought to the rear and then released in front of the hip.

The elbow and hand on the same plane as the body is to prevent sidearm throwing in pitching, an unsafe motion. It has NOTHING to do with the submarine wind up or 'Style' as you refer to it. The submarine wind up is not a sidearm motion at all.

SNEAKY SOFTBALL PITCHING

Aug 16, 2010
Again, as I said - I believe this rule in effect prevents BOTH the sidearm and submarine delivery. But I'm not an expert - just trying to help.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Again, as I said - I believe this rule in effect prevents BOTH the sidearm and submarine delivery. But I'm not an expert - just trying to help.

No problem here, I probably came across a little too blunt, my apologies.

No rule is in any book to prevent the submarine wind up or any of the other variations that do no utilize the fuill windmill circle. That was how EVERYONE pitched before the full windmill was developed.

Aug 16, 2010
No problem - my frame of reference for "submarine" style envisions the hard lean, knuckles dragging ground, throwing from about 1/2 way to 3b. I see your point about the pre-windmill sb pitch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy