Leftie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2011
Indiana
In all the years I've coached..I have rarely ran into a leftie. But when I did..they were catchers so I knew what I needed to put them. Well, not this time. I have a leftie, good kid, that I have started at First Base. Well, that hasn't worked out so well. I don't know if it is her nerves or what, but in practice she does awesome, come game time, drop ball after drop ball.

I have found a couple of others that will take her spot, but my question is, what is a good spot for a leftie. I know some will say anywhere which is true, but I also know 2nd base sorta creates an issue at times. I was thinking 3rd or SS. But I am just looking for advice. I know this seems like a dumb question, but I am hoping the collective here can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks

Jul 26, 2010
Catcher, Pitcher, 1B, or Outfield.

If she's dropping throws though, I'm guessing it's rec ball, so honestly just put her wherever and see how she does, it's all about teaching the game and having fun.

-W

Last edited:
1B is the best place IMO. What age are these girls? You said she's a good kid, my best advice is don't give up on her. If she can do it in practice, she can do it in a game, sounds like she just needs a boost of confidence. Let her know you have 100% confidence in her and if she make's an error, shake it off and make the next play.

I think the biggest difference in coaching boys and girls is that most girls seem to thrive on that reassurance the their coaches have confidence in them and believe in them..

Apr 27, 2011
Indiana
1B is the best place IMO. What age are these girls? You said she's a good kid, my best advice is don't give up on her. If she can do it in practice, she can do it in a game, sounds like she just needs a boost of confidence. Let her know you have 100% confidence in her and if she make's an error, shake it off and make the next play.

I think the biggest difference in coaching boys and girls is that most girls seem to thrive on that reassurance the their coaches have confidence in them and believe in them..

She is a 10U player. I talk to her (all the girls for that matter) to tell them to shake off the error and move on. I'm not one to get hot headed over a missed play or an error. I tell her she is doing a good job and keep it up, but it seems like she doesn't have the confidence needed to do the job in the game. I don't know if she is scared or what because she freezes when the ball is thrown her way (playing first) during a game. I moved her to third the other day and it was like a night and day difference, but I wasn't sure if that was where I should be playing. At this age anything can happen so it maybe just jitters and maybe I should move her back to give her more time to develop and stop over thinking it.

Absolutely (give her more time to develop), this is only 10U, this is the time for them to learn their position(s), gain their confidence, and learn not to be afraid of the ball. Do she play with a face mask? (not that it's need as much at 10U, but it may help her if she does have any fear of the ball)

Jul 26, 2010
Put her in right field then and keep on working with her to develop her fielding skills. In RF she'll learn how to back up 1B and see the ball from the same side of the field, ect.

-W

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ
My 10u DD is a leftie and I would like her to play 1st, but the coaches DD plays there. She's a righty that can't throw, so I guess 1st it is, for now. My daughter plays 2nd on the team and believe it or not, she loves it and seems like a good fit. But I still feel 1st is going to be her position once the coaches daughter moves up to 12U this fall.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
At 10U travel, my left handed daughter pitched some, caught some and played SS. At 11 she played SS half the season and caught the other half with a little pitching. At 12 she pitched a lot, and mostly played first otherwise.

If she can do it better then the righthanders she should have the opportunity to earn any position. If she can't do it better then them, then worry about how to fit her left handedness onto the field.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
1st base has been the most frustrating position on our Team for the last couple of years. Quite a few players will make the hard play but just plain drop good throws to them. Solid throws hit right in the middle of their glove and then just falls to the ground. Most annoying thing you have ever seen. During practice they are fine, during a game it is a disaster.

The smallest player on our Team is our #1 1st basemen because she can catch the ball during games. Why she can and other players cannot I have no idea.

My current belief is that 1st basemen have a different mentality then the other players, they somehow keep their head out of the way and do not start thinking. They just catch the ball and move on.

Lefty’s are at a disadvantage in all the infield positions but if the player is an athlete that is OK. They just need to play a little bit closer to the plate to compensate for turning their body to throw the ball. There is less of a turn from the left side of the field so I like putting lefties at SS and 3rd. At 3rd they need to play closer to the line then the righties.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs