Leftie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
1st base has been the most frustrating position on our Team for the last couple of years. Quite a few players will make the hard play but just plain drop good throws to them. Solid throws hit right in the middle of their glove and then just falls to the ground. Most annoying thing you have ever seen. During practice they are fine, during a game it is a disaster.

The smallest player on our Team is our #1 1st basemen because she can catch the ball during games. Why she can and other players cannot I have no idea.

My current belief is that 1st basemen have a different mentality then the other players, they somehow keep their head out of the way and do not start thinking. They just catch the ball and move on.

Lefty’s are at a disadvantage in all the infield positions but if the player is an athlete that is OK. They just need to play a little bit closer to the plate to compensate for turning their body to throw the ball. There is less of a turn from the left side of the field so I like putting lefties at SS and 3rd. At 3rd they need to play closer to the line then the righties.

I've played 1st during Men's League when I was WAY younger. There were plenty of times a throw from our SS would handcuff me because his ball would break down and away from me at the last minute. Maybe the throws are doing something?

Question, why would a leftie 3B need to play closer to the line? If anything I think they could play further from the line since that is to their glove side.

May 8, 2009
Florida
I have had two lefties at 2nd base without problems. One did really well, she had a strong backhand flip to 1st, and her footwork was solid which enabled her to easily go to the other bases. Other spots I lke lefties are CF and LF. AS far as sticking the catch at 1st, try having them hold the catch during practice, as if they were framing it like a catcher. ihad a 1st maseman that would catch the ball nose to knuckle but then snap her wrist downwards, basically throwing the ball out of it. I made her stick the catches and then in slow motion transfer the ball correctly out of the glove. Not perfect yet but improving.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Good point, I need to rethink what we are doing.

The only thing I would practice is if the ball takes their momemtum away from first (ie to their glove side) is to go with it then spin to the right to make the throw rather than attempting to square up by turning to the left. If that makes any sense at all.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It does, thanks.

This year we have 1 leftie on our Team, she is the #2 1st baseperson. We have started moving her around to the left side of the infield and what you suggested makes sense. She is worth the extra effort, great kid. :)

May 8, 2009
Florida
One of the problems I would see with a lefty at 3rd would be fielding the bunt. Forcing 3rd to turn to make the throw would increase the chance to bunt for a hit. This would hold true for 3rd and SS when they have to charge the ball for a play to 1st..

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs