Leaving National Teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
If at 14u/15u Sparkler is there competition level it shouldn't be three times the amount to play for them.
Just as an FYI, the Power Pool for 14u Sparkler was pretty good (not sure if that is what they played). I don’t know many of the teams that were in 14u IDT so I cannot compare.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just as an FYI, the Power Pool for 14u Sparkler was pretty good (not sure if that is what they played).
Power pool is a different division than sparkler. When someone wrote they played in sparkler that did not entail saying power pool. That is where my comment came from.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Also when someone comments it's going to cost three times the amount to play on that team. Might want to discuss that $$$$$ amount here cuz that could also be a tell on the 'business end' of the softball decision.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD played in a small well respected program that played a "National" Summer Schedule. Coach kept it affordable. He was old school. $900 for Fall, $900 for Summer. No fundraising. Uniforms were reused for many years. No need to purchase 3 sets of uniforms every 2 years. BTW uniform management is a PITA. Buying every year and reissue.

Focus on the things that are most important. Skill development with solid practice regime, great tourney schedules, college coach relationships, good families, affordable for your family. Uni's are not in this list for me.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
No it isn’t. 14U Sparkler TC has Open, Supplemental and Power Pools. They all fall under the Sparkler umbrella (at least in 2022)
Yes I am aware of the different divisions.

This is why people need to be aware of the detail within the sentence
'We play at sparkler' is not the same as
'We play in powerpool.'
Generally if coaches are actually playing in power pool Coaches will use the words powerpool Because it carries status. When they are not in power pool they generally use the phrase sparkler.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes I am aware of the different divisions. People need to be aware of the detail within the sentence 'we play at sparkler' is not the same as
powerpool.
Coaches will use the term words powerpool Because it carries status. When they are not in power pool they use the general phrase sparkler
Ok..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Really making a point of that because there are people that get spoofed unknowingly thinking they are going to some big show and for many of those teams it's just another tournament.

Jul 19, 2021
My DD was a good rec player, now a good B/C player. Not dominating but hitting bombs and consistently driving the ball into gaps. Pitches as well but again not dominating but getting efficient and changing speeds well.

My daughter has been invited to try out for a "regional" team 2 hours away. Her current coach actually set it up and said it would be a great opportunity for her. The new coach/current coach played together in college. Her development has been rapid. We are going to the tryout, if selected the cost is 3X what we currently pay plus multiple out of state tournaments in the fall and next Summer. This will be a 15U team. This team played at the Colorado Sparkler but overall had about a .333 winning percentage this Summer; hence the tryouts...lol

For any experienced parents what made you want to commit to this? What is to be gained if she is offered a roster spot? Or is it a money grab on a probably below average team that should be playing A/B games? IDK but I will find out.

I'll take any advice and experience on this.
What is the end goal, does she love softball and want to play in college or is she happy playing in high school and then moving on from it? To me, you have to know the answer to that before making the decision because I wouldn't pay 3x what I'm paying now if my daughter didn't want to play in college. IMO there is no point in playing higher level tournament ball past 14u if you don't want to play in college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028