Leaving contact with the Rubber

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
This recent gif posted in another thread shows great drive...but with respect to the right foot,
how often do you see this getting called illegal in say 12U? 14U?

f44fw9.gif

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
This recent gif posted in another thread shows great drive...but with respect to the right foot,
how often do you see this getting called illegal in say 12U? 14U?

f44fw9.gif
U_Front.gif

This being a warm-up... don't think she does this GameTime... ??? :cool:

Here is a Game & CU

U_cu.gif

Last edited:

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Depends on how good a pitcher she is, If she was dominating, I'd look for coaches to be pointing it out to every base ump.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Hard to tell from that angle, but to be legal only a portion of the foot, in this case the heel, has to be in contact with the rubber. The only time I have seen this called in a game was when a girl was taking a serious "gym step" as part of her motion.

May 22, 2012
I actually thought it would view larger. Need to find a better gif maker and/or get some closer video. Little DD got called for this multiple times last season which caused a fair amount of frustration. Our coaches argument was always that her heel kept contact. At the very least it was always very close. Didn't seem to matter to the umpire, all he could see was the "forward"

Dec 27, 2014
At 12u this fall we had one opposing pitcher that took a much bigger gym step than this, every pitch, and was not called.

The parents grumbled about it but nothing said to the PU since we did not have any BU.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
This being a warm-up... don't think she does this GameTime... ??? :cool:

Here is a Game & CU

U_cu.gif

Looks like she does it during the game, also. The difference is that during warm ups she is on a flat surface so it is easier to see, but if you watch the game video she still does it, but her toe is down in the hole in front of the rubber so it is less noticeable.

Feb 7, 2013
In one of the NPF championship games this year, Monica Abbott was called for an IP for lifting her pivot foot off of the rubber before the drive. But I will say that it is rare to be called unless its egregious. We did have some kids in rec just learning how to pitch that would take a 1 foot step forward before pushing off but that was corrected pretty quickly by the coaches and umpires. I believe Java is a proponent of the this drive mechanics move, especially as a drill (two-step drill).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1