Learned something last night - Tip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Our first game of the year was last night and we really don't know our team yet due to lack of many practices (weather related). We didn't even know every players name. Kinda of embarrassed but I had to ask a few times, "Who are you?"

Anyway, I sometimes have a tough time accepting how slow the changeover is at the end of a half inning. I had a girl that, for whatever reason, would lose her glove between innings, often. So one time, we started the inning w/o a girl at 1st base while she looked (we had 9 that game). At some point, I just have to go, stop nagging at them, and let them and the team figure it out. I've also done the....you're too late, you're sitting, if you want to play, get moving next inning.

So last night, as mentioned, we really don't know all the players yet and a few of them it was the first time we've ever seen them throw/catch/hit a softball. The previous inning we had a few issues (coaching issue) where we weren't clear who was playing where (because honestly, we weren't sure). So for the last inning the guy that coaches with me told one girl she was pitching, one girl she was catching and told 7 others they were in the field.

Their positions? First come, first served. You're the first one to the spot, it's yours.

Let me tell you it was the fastest exchange in the history of softball. Seven girls lined up with their gloves and as soon as the 3rd out was registered the sprinting began. I'm not sure the umpire even got his fist up with the out signal. It looked liked a stampede at the buffet line when a bus unloads at the Golden Corral.

It was beautiful.

So if you struggle with this issue at times, try it out and see if you have the same success we did.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2010
We do the same thing in our winter dome league on occasion (much less competitive league), and it not only makes it fun for the girls, you really find out who is a smart enough ball player to know their role regardless of where they are playing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes