Leaping Issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
In the process of trying to improve leg drive, my 9 YO DD has developed a bit of a leaping issue. On our game field its almost imperceptible because the hole in front of the rubber is so large. We practice on flat ground at home (basement floor on a large piece of astroturf with a rubber screwed in to it) and its much more noticeable even from my perspective on the bucket.

We all know this is a bad habit and I want to break it as soon as possible (might end up being our winter project). Does anyone have any tips or drills to improve this besides saying "don't do that"? Thanks.

Jun 18, 2010
We used the old trick of placing a few sheets of paper at her pivot foot toe. When she leaped, her pivot foot had to bring those sheets of paper along for the ride. There is a secondary benefit to this drill, and this is to have her try and not wear a hole in the paper by dragging the pivot foot to heavy. This drill broke DD habit in just a couple practices.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
My dd had the same problem. She might even still have it some times. She was really bad about twisting her pivot foot to 45 degree angle before pushing off with it, and dragging the side of her foot instead of inside toe. We focused on her keeping her foot straight when she pushed and it seemed to fix the problem. (We would sit a ball on the inside of her pivot foot. When she twisted pivot foot it would roll the ball away)
Not sure if this will fix your problem or that it completely cured my dd's but it made significant improvement.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
DE will do this from time to time, we take a string or old chin strap in front of the drag foot. Same as others just make sure she moves the string. Most times we find she is trying too hard to overpitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand