leap n drag or step

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Whatever style you think is best is the one you should teach them. It is a complete waste of time in teaching them step, if you're planning on changing them to leap and drag when they're older.

Oct 19, 2009
This is my personal opinion from the experience with my daughter. I don’t think that every kid is correct for every method. Some are better at one than the other, the more athletic kids seem to adapt to the leap better while others are better at the step method.

My daughter has better movement on the ball with the step method, has better control and speed. While others do better with the leap.

In the beginning I would work on drills, wrist snaps, T drill and etc. I would do some home work on the pros and cons of both styles and begin with whatever you think is best for your daughter. Many here have strong opinions on one way or the other, my preference is the step method which I think is less strenuous on the body, while others have argued that the step method puts stress on the shoulder and arm, with my daughter this so far has not been the case. She has pitched as many as 4 and 5 games a day and as many as 7 in a 2 day period with no problems.

I would say to start with whatever you feel is best for your daughter and stick with it and not change from one to the other.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
I dont recall seeing any step style pitchers in college world series this year.

I was going to say the same thing. Remember speed & power should come from the legs. Without the leap and drag you have nothing but arm strength leading the way. IMO.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Many of the worlds most successful pitchers over the years were step style pitchers. They pitched with every bit as much velocity and movement as any leap and drag pitcher ever did. One of the tactics I teach is the softball submarine wind up. THAT wind up is thrown as a step style pitch by leap and drag pitchers. In essence, the step style is a part OF the leap and drag style, you just dont have the same very strong and aggressive push off.

When I was still teaching youmg pitchers, many times I would receive a student that had already been taught to pitch with the step style. It was a quick and easy switch over to leap and drag. Many times, they got it and were throwing great in a single 1/2 hour lesson.

Coach Hal's Foundation Method

CT-TEXAS.COM

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
my 10 yo dd started as a step style pitcher and moved to the leap and drag. actually lost velocity/control b/c too many moving parts for her to keep straight. went back to the step and velocity/control came back. its been a year since we had this hiccup. we've recently started lengthening her step to where she is now leaping/dragging (albeit a very short - 4 or 5 inches - leap/drag).

i agree that it reall depends on the girl as to what style they fall in to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet