Leap Drap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2013
I will add a clip when I get off work. You all are right. She isn't leaping at all. She is stepping for sure.

Dec 19, 2012
Can anyone point me to some good side video showing how a pitcher's toe is dragging off the pitching plate before the pitcher plants her stride foot? My 10 year old has a good leap, but her push off foot lags behind. She is still touching the pitching plate when she plants her stride foot. Hope that makes sense!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hi Fitz.

The young lady in the previous video is dragging the entire side of her foot. You dont want to do that. The pivot ankle should fully extend when pushing from the rubber and stay like that until the landing foot touches down. The pivot foot should be dragging on the side of the big toe like the video below.

You are talking about the differences between Leap and Drag vs Step style.

Here is a link showing the correct footwork for a Leap and Drag pitcher. Please note there is no toe hole in front of the rubber for my toe to drop into, that is why you see an inch of air between the mat and my tennis shoe.

You need to decide if you want her to be a step style or leap and drag pitcher, they are quite different.

L and D footwork.mpg - YouTube

Last edited:
Follow the path BM has you headed on. Is it important that your push foot drags off the rubber......yes, very important. Is the beauty of the toe point or drag mark important.....it is not real important....what is important is that your core torque will pull your legs together as your hips rotate....your toe drag follows due to the torquing action. Toe drag is a follow thru motion and should not be a primary focus.

With out seeing a video it is speculation, but as others have noted this sounds like a case of stepping and not really a high energy step at that.

Dec 19, 2012
Hi Fitz.

The young lady in the previous video is dragging the entire side of her foot. You dont want to do that. The pivot ankle should fully extend when pushing from the rubber and stay like that until the landing foot touches down. The pivot foot should be dragging on the side of the big toe like the video below.

You are talking about the differences between Leap and Drag vs Step style.

Here is a link showing the correct footwork for a Leap and Drag pitcher. Please note there is no toe hole in front of the rubber for my toe to drop into, that is why you see an inch of air between the mat and my tennis shoe.

You need to decide if you want her to be a step style or leap and drag pitcher, they are quite different.

L and D footwork.mpg - YouTube

Hal
The young lady in the previous video is Jennie Finch, and when you stride out as far as she does gravity eventually takes over. That being said, there is no weight on the drag foot. She's not dragging her heel. The point is to explode and stride out as far as possible while maintaining contact with the toe of the stride foot, and that's exactly what's happening in the video I posted.

Sep 10, 2013
Hal
The point is to explode and stride out as far as possible while maintaining contact with the toe of the stride foot, and that's exactly what's happening in the video I posted.

do you mean maintaining contact with the toe of the PIVOT foot instead of stride foot?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal
The young lady in the previous video is Jennie Finch, and when you stride out as far as she does gravity eventually takes over. That being said, there is no weight on the drag foot. She's not dragging her heel. The point is to explode and stride out as far as possible while maintaining contact with the toe of the stride foot, and that's exactly what's happening in the video I posted.

Hi Lenski,

Watch the pivot foot closely. At first, the ankle is bent because there IS weight on the back foot and she IS dragging the entire side of the pivot foot. Then, just before the stride foot touches down, she goes up on the side of the toe.

Works for her .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd