Lead Runner?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Tangy-Mike

Tangy-Mike
Mar 23, 2010
Columbus Ohio
Great to hear Ken. There will be mistakes and you may even lose a game because they make a wrong choice, but your team and your players will be much better softball players because of your approach.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
general rule for me is anything bobbled or any batted ball that is NOT fielded quickly, go 1. Our girls ALWAYS think LEAD RUNNER... so BEFORE the pitch, we want to know if she is slow or if there is a chance for lead runner...... we don't like to gamble, so if a hard hit ball to an infielder and runner isn't wheels, we go for the lead runner, IF slow hit ball/bobbled or fast runner, we go for out to nearest base. (COULD be lead runner if runners are on 1st and 2nd and Pitcher, 3B or SS gets a clean grounder, could be runner at two if ball up the middle)
** KEY is EVERY PLAY - you want to get an OUT!

ONE that kills me is teams that concentrate on "turning two", (which you know is very difficuly on 60' base paths) and don't stress enough about getting that FIRST out!!! I AGREE to teach and practice the plays, BUT the FIRST OUT IS MOST IMPORTANT. GET THE LEAD RUNNER, DON'T rush that we blow the out for the lead runner. 2nd out is nice but not as critical as the first out!

/////

So here is a question I have - why is it in a 1st & 3rd situation and many times when a slow runner at 1st, we don't throw her out on steal attempt to get the out? we are so concerned about the runner at 3rd, that we give up the force and put another runner in scoring position. there are times to give her 2nd (batter/out situation/score) and there are times to get the out, potentially giving up one run and stopping the bleedinig, especially if your next at bat or early enough in the game, you have a good chance to score!

Last edited:

Tangy-Mike

Tangy-Mike
Mar 23, 2010
Columbus Ohio
So here is a question I have - why is it in a 1st & 3rd situation and many times when a slow runner at 1st, we don't throw her out on steal attempt to get the out? we are so concerned about the runner at 3rd, that we give up the force and put another runner in scoring position. there are times to give her 2nd (batter/out situation/score) and there are times to get the out, potentially giving up one run and stopping the bleedinig, especially if your next at bat or early enough in the game, you have a good chance to score!

Jim, you are absolutely right. We played an indoor tourney a week or so ago and I came to the exact same conclusion. If you are not playing to hold the run at third on a hit ball, and you will take an out and give up the run. Why give the other team the opportunity to put two runners into scoring position for doing nothing.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Jim, you are absolutely right. We played an indoor tourney a week or so ago and I came to the exact same conclusion. If you are not playing to hold the run at third on a hit ball, and you will take an out and give up the run. Why give the other team the opportunity to put two runners into scoring position for doing nothing.

How about cause it only takes 1 run to win a game? I would say it depends on the type of game. Lower level games with lots of hits, errors, baserunning it might work. As the level of play and pitching improves, with equally matched teams the score is much closer. A team may be fortunate to get 1 baserunner in an inning, seldom do they get multiple in one inning, and one big inning for one team with a couple of runs often decides the game. The chance of that runner on 3rd getting home isnt all that great. You must make them earn it, give it up and you may have given away the game. Let them load the bases if need be, get the force after that. Assumes strong pitching though, lots of strikeouts and poorly hit balls to IF.

Jan 13, 2009
Here is how I try to teach the decision process:

At the beginning of the season, I had my girls line up from fastest to slowest.
The first girl is the fastest and most agressive base runner (Suzie)
The middle girl is average speed and can steal on a ball in the dirt (Jane)
The last is a big and slow (Mary)

When we do fielding drills that require the decision process, I say "We have a Suzie on three. If the ball is a slow rioller, get the out at one. On a fly to the outfield, assume a tagup... you get the idea.

During games, I can now yell Mary on one and it means something to them (Try to get the big and slow on the force to two)

May 7, 2008
words we use

I see these words in a few o fht eother posts. We try to boil it down so the idea sticks in the players heads

Slow or sloppy go one ( slow hit ball or sloppy fielding)

Clean and hard get lead (hard hit ball and clean fielding)

pretty simple and covers everything but the do or die tag outs at the plate and thats pretty easy to call out ot the infield when it arises

Tangy-Mike

Tangy-Mike
Mar 23, 2010
Columbus Ohio
How about cause it only takes 1 run to win a game? I would say it depends on the type of game. Lower level games with lots of hits, errors, baserunning it might work. As the level of play and pitching improves, with equally matched teams the score is much closer. A team may be fortunate to get 1 baserunner in an inning, seldom do they get multiple in one inning, and one big inning for one team with a couple of runs often decides the game. The chance of that runner on 3rd getting home isnt all that great. You must make them earn it, give it up and you may have given away the game. Let them load the bases if need be, get the force after that. Assumes strong pitching though, lots of strikeouts and poorly hit balls to IF.

Mudbug, with a runner on 1st and 3rd and less than two outs - is it your belief that the typical DI or DII college team allows the runner on first to advance to second without regard? Is it also your belief that when a runner gets to third (and less than two outs) those same teams load the bases in order to get outs at home to prevent a run from scoring?

I would agree that the decision to give up a run by throwing down to second all depends on what the batter and the batter on deck has done against your pitcher (either historically or in this game). But, I think that sometimes you have to be willing to prevent the big inning yourself by throwing through or by run the option-read to the second baseman in an attempt to get the runner at second or going home.

It also helps to have a team that hits pretty well and mine does.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Mudbug, with a runner on 1st and 3rd and less than two outs - is it your belief that the typical DI or DII college team allows the runner on first to advance to second without regard? Is it also your belief that when a runner gets to third (and less than two outs) those same teams load the bases in order to get outs at home to prevent a run from scoring?

I would agree that the decision to give up a run by throwing down to second all depends on what the batter and the batter on deck has done against your pitcher (either historically or in this game). But, I think that sometimes you have to be willing to prevent the big inning yourself by throwing through or by run the option-read to the second baseman in an attempt to get the runner at second or going home.

It also helps to have a team that hits pretty well and mine does.

I would say pity the team that falls for the delayed steal. If its something your opponent wants you to do, you can figure you probably shouldnt! Normally, the runner can walk to second if she chooses. Even on an infield hit, that runner on 3B wont score on a good team. Check the runner, make the out at 1B, double play at home a very high percentage of time.

A run for an out is an awful trade, thats like a knight for a pawn in chess. Do that against a good chess player, and you lost the game at that point, you just have to play out the rest of the game to see it.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2010
A run for an out is an awful trade, thats like a knight for a pawn in chess. Do that against a good chess player, and you lost the game at that point, you just have to play out the rest of the game to see it.[/QUOTE]

It's all situational...there are no exacts in this play, but each of the plays you can choose should be based on the situation at the time. If your up 4-0 in the 6th inning and the runner at first goes, you throw her out and give up that run and empty the bases. I'd rather be up 4-1 with no one on and 1 or 2 outs then 2nd and 3rd...But 0-0 game you gotta play prevent in keep the runner at third and based on who's up and your pitcher's chances for a K you can either BB to load the bases or pitch to her....As I said..no exacts, it's all about the situation...

Sep 8, 2008
Lancaster, SC
14U team, I teach the rule of "3"... That is if the ball takes 3 bounces to get to you, or you take 3 steps to get to the ball you probably are not going to get the lead runner, and using the % the correct play is probably the out at 1st.

We teach them to look and decide if they can get the lead runner tho. Many variables exist in this play; Is another player too far away from the base to get the out? Is the runner too close to the base already to get the out? Is the runner fast or slow? Are your fielders quick with good hands?

I like that rule of 3 coach kevin... good idea

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott