Lead Runner?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You'll never beat a good team by taking the easy out.

Throwing the ball around is gonna get you killed regardless of the level you play at, but especially at younger ages.

It only gets you killed if your players don't back up, can't throw, can't catch, and don't think.

If your team knows how to attempt to get the lead runner, you can slow the other team down even if you don't get the lead runner. The coach will see the way you execute the play, and will stop trying to advance the runners on every ground ball.

Teach the kids:

(a) how to throw the ball to get the out.
(b) how to put a tag on a base runner
(c) what to do after they make the tag and
(d) where the back up goes
(e) most importantly--teach them to continue playing and never to stop and wait for the umpire's call.

Nov 1, 2009
KenB

There is absolutely nothing wrong with teaching LL'ers how to play the game. That response was rude and made no sense. The name of the game is getting outs. More teams are beat because they let the other team have extra outs than they evey will by choosing which out to take. Our team has excellent pitching and we play great defense and our first rule is if the other team offers an out, take it. Teach your girls the same way you would if they were a gold team and one day you will have a great group of girls who can play the game. Good luck.

Nov 1, 2009
Slugger,

We have beat some of the best in county doing exactly that. By the same token we won a lot of games we shouldn't have because teams made bad choices. Maybe you don't always take the easy out, but you do always take the sure out. I hope to see your team on the field.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
It just depends on the player position and the ball. Usually take the sure out. If the runner is in scoring position or fielding iis fast enough or you are close enough to the bag the lead runner is heading for to insure you get her, then go for the lead by all means.

Any hesitation, bobble, delay and you have to go for 1B. 1B will immediately throw after the lead runner to catch them off the bag, a fair percentage of double plays occur that way.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Unfortunately, a fair amount of learning in this game occurs after the fact in the dugout. I try to catch my girls while a play is still fresh in their mind & constantly tell them "great choice there, we needed the out", or try to show them where they could have had a good shot at the lead without making it feel like a butt chewing, but more of a watch for this situation in the future. Any girls with the natural abilities & natural agression are going to start improving on their choices pretty quickly on their own. Thats not to say that you cant prepare them substantially on practice, just sometimes nothing matches a game experience for learning. Be prepared- you arent going to learn good choices without making some bad ones- you can eliminate some bad choices by vocalization during the game.

Jan 13, 2010
I agree with Ray...and the primary factors are time to make the play and the situation, and we practice this constantly, with live runners(14u team). They become accustomed to knowing when the field a ball cleanly it opens the window to making a play on the lead runner, any bobbles or having to range to far, take the easier play. Also many times the slower runner may be the kid on first base and with a speed burner at bat. It's all about teaching them to know the situation before the play begins.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
CoachJim: Exactly. You teach the kids how to play the game. These are young kids, so you accept that sometimes it is going to be a disaster. If you work them and you teach them, the kids can do it--this isn't brain surgery.

Aug 2, 2008
Don't get offended by what Sluggers writes, thats just his style. Most of the stuff he says not to do he has probably done at sometime himself, thats why he suggests not to. Notice his sign off, former crazy daddy. In other words don't be a crazy daddy.

I agree with his line of thinking. However there has to be a progression. Throwing and catching: standing still, on the move, amid distraction, if they can't perform a high percentage of the time in practice then they won't in games. We tell our players as soon as they can consistantly make the out at first from anywhere then we will start going for the lead runner. Thats your bread and butter, you can always fall back to it if there having a bad day. I should mention I am dealing with first year 12-U, half of our team moved up with us. They remember from last year so we are already working on lead runner, it gets easier every year.

I could go on. I will end with what I think is the most important part, for them to get out of their comfort zone and go for that lead runner or decide to go for the extra base on offense you have to give them permission to fail. We want them thinking for themselves, if they try somthing and not make it and we yell at them they will hesitate the next time. Our players are encouraged to push the limits so they learn what their limits are. Then follow up with what did you learn from that and help them track their progress. Come high school it might be a different story, Haven't coached that age yet.

Mike

Tangy-Mike

Tangy-Mike
Mar 23, 2010
Columbus Ohio
Starting with 8u Select, I have always taught "think lead runner first, if not get the easy out". IMHO it is the only way to teach your infield the flow of base coverages.

On another forum in Ohio, I asked a question - at the showcase travel or collegiate level where should the pitcher throw the ball (lead the shortstop running to the bag or to the bag with a slight lead) on a hard hit ball fielded cleanly by the pitcher with a runner on first (not stealing and not a burner) and less than two outs. I was amazed at how many people tried to convince me to get the out at first base.

Teach them how to throw and catch and then teach them how to take advantage of knowing how to throw and catch including getting lead runner, snap throws behind lead runners, etc...

It's worked for me.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
My girls are picking this up faster than I am. I love it. They still have a ways to go, but they're getting better at seeing and making the best choice. I appreciate the input.

Thanks again,
Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45