Lead Runner?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I recently read that in most cases it is advisable to take the out at first than to try for the lead runner. Exceptions were given in the instances of an easy tag or a hit to a base in a force out. I'm a first time manager of a Little League 13/14 team. The advice seemed to have ring of ease and efficiency, but I wanted to run it by the experience pool here for comment.

Thanks ahead,
Ken

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, KenB, what is your purpose for coaching? Do you want to teach "how to play the game"? Or does your ego need to be fed by winning a couple of extra girls LL softball games?

The correct way to play the game is for the fielder to evaluate whether she can make a play on the lead runner, and then decide what to do, and execute the play. It is a touch decision.

Just like anything else, they will NOT make this decision correctly all the time. They will make mistakes. So, you might lose a game or two because your players made the wrong decision. But, if you teach them what to do, and practice it, they will get better, and the team will be better, and your players will be better.

On the other hand, you can take the easy out, make your girls automatons, and brag in your later years how you were "12-8" in LL softball, rather than "11-9".

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Its always nice to get that lead runner, but in LL, outs are usually a premium, & a bird in the hand...........

JC

I pulled this from the net...

"Softball Defense — Dispelling the Myth #2

My next example strikes home much closer. We have had our softball defense practicing getting the lead runner out this year. Not that this is the play we want to make all of the time, but we are trying to educate our girls on when they can make this play, when they can’t make it, and what to look for in making their decision. So here was the situation: A preseason game, top of the first inning, no outs, runner at third, and a slow roller hit to the pitcher. The pitcher fields the ball and throws chest high to the catcher which allows the runner to slide underneath the tag and score, and the batter ends up at second base in all of the commotion. The batter ends up scoring later in the inning to give our opponents a 2-0 lead. The final score in the game was 2-1. If we had made the play at first base the game would have been tied 1-1 and we would have gone to extra innings. Since this was a preseason game we are encouraging our players to attempt that play, and from this experience our pitcher learned just how close that play was, and what it will take to make that play later on. She also learned that if it is that close, take the out at first base.

So when do you get the lead runner? Obviously if the winning run is on third, less than two outs, and the last inning or very late in the game, you have to prevent the runner from scoring. However, I would suggest, if you know you are going to get to bat again, I might let her score and go down by one run, but make the out at first and avoid the big inning and avoid going down by two or more runs. It’s a lot easier to score one run than it is two score two or three.

The next obvious time to get the lead runner is when the bases are loaded and the ball is hit to the pitcher, catcher, or third base. However, the girls need to know that if they don’t field the ball cleanly, or if there is any hesitation or doubt, immediately make the play at first. Depending on the stage of the game and the score, you may well want to move the first baseman closer to home to be able to make the play at home. Unless it is very late in the game and the score is tied or I am behind, I would NOT have my shortstop or second baseman throw home. The odds are way against making this play and you risk the big inning. Remember, you are building a solid fastpitch softball defense, not a risky defense."

There was a show on about statistics on Public Television a while back and I seem to remember in 70% percent of MLB games the outcome was not effected by not getting the lead runner. It was more important to get the out...

Thanks Howard

Mar 11, 2010
My team plays usssa ,asa and usfa the fielder only has a split sec. to deside what to do . With that it will depend on a few things one is where was the ball hit to then is the player able to make that lead play or is she set up to take the out to first , then if the base runner is smart she will work your fielder and both are safe. this is a game of 3 outs at a time get a out

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
14U team, I teach the rule of "3"... That is if the ball takes 3 bounces to get to you, or you take 3 steps to get to the ball you probably are not going to get the lead runner, and using the % the correct play is probably the out at 1st.

We teach them to look and decide if they can get the lead runner tho. Many variables exist in this play; Is another player too far away from the base to get the out? Is the runner too close to the base already to get the out? Is the runner fast or slow? Are your fielders quick with good hands?

Oct 18, 2009
Indiana
There was actually a study done by a division I coach (it was either Veroni or Hutchinson) that looked at this exact question. It turns out that there was an overwhelmingly greater possession of the time were just getting the out over trying to get the lead runner was more successful. This study found that when trying to get the lead runner out, more times than not it lead to longer innings and the lead run scoring. Just some interesting info.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
So, KenB, what is your purpose for coaching? Do you want to teach "how to play the game"? Or does your ego need to be fed by winning a couple of extra girls LL softball games?

The correct way to play the game is for the fielder to evaluate whether she can make a play on the lead runner, and then decide what to do, and execute the play. It is a touch decision.

Just like anything else, they will NOT make this decision correctly all the time. They will make mistakes. So, you might lose a game or two because your players made the wrong decision. But, if you teach them what to do, and practice it, they will get better, and the team will be better, and your players will be better.

On the other hand, you can take the easy out, make your girls automatons, and brag in your later years how you were "12-8" in LL softball, rather than "11-9".

Ray, we spend a lot of time on defense. & to get the lead runner or go to 1b is a case by case that the girls have to constantly & quickly evaluate. I dont try to make automatons, but my personal experience has shown that its more often than not best to avoid the big inning. I am a big proponet of aggressive base running & getting the sure outs on defense . Throwing the ball around is gonna get you killed regardless of the level you play at, but especially at younger ages. Its my belief that you are teaching the game correctly when you teach them to be stingy with the ball on defense.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Ray, we spend a lot of time on defense. & to get the lead runner or go to 1b is a case by case that the girls have to constantly & quickly evaluate. I dont try to make automatons, but my personal experience has shown that its more often than not best to avoid the big inning. I am a big proponet of aggressive base running & getting the sure outs on defense . Throwing the ball around is gonna get you killed regardless of the level you play at, but especially at younger ages. Its my belief that you are teaching the game correctly when you teach them to be stingy with the ball on defense.

I constantly remind the players, "Don't throw the ball, unless something good can happen."

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Thank you for the help--I need every bit and appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Ken

Last edited: