lead off slump

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
I have tried 3 different kids at lead off, all hit well in the middle, all around high 400's to low 500's. They are all fast, as soon as I put them in the lead off spot they tank......O'fer everything. Is that common? How can I help them approach the lead off spot different?

14u

Aug 2, 2008
#1- 3games
#2- 4games
#3-4games

as soon as they go back to the middle they hit well.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'd probably put the one that I most trusted at leadoff and leave her there through thick and thin. I'd expect that she'd embrace the position and figure it out for herself. If you continue to get no production out of #1, then move #2 up.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I have tried 3 different kids at lead off, all hit well in the middle, all around high 400's to low 500's. They are all fast, as soon as I put them in the lead off spot they tank......O'fer everything. Is that common? How can I help them approach the lead off spot different?

14u

Are they grounding out? Striking out? Have they changed their strategy at the plate. . .bunting, slapping?

They need to see a lot of pitches and be very patient.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I agree with CoogansBluff.Seems the lead off spot is a pressure spot (to get on base) for some girls.DD was tried at lead off spot by coach, didn't work out.She was moved back to 6 spot were she hits will in and is comfortable.Lead off spot seems to change the thinking of the batter,bunt,work the pitch count,or hit away.Then theres the steal bases and get in scoring postion.

Aug 2, 2008
I'd probably put the one that I most trusted at leadoff and leave her there through thick and thin.....coogan

Thats what I am thinking, I was just worried the thin times might start to wear on her.

Are they grounding out? Striking out?

I have to look at the stats again, off the top of my head I think mostly striking out. And it doesnt appear the pitchers are changing their approach for individule batters.

Jan 20, 2010
Thats what I am thinking, I was just worried the thin times might start to wear on her.

I have to look at the stats again, off the top of my head I think mostly striking out. And it doesnt appear the pitchers are changing their approach for individule batters.

Move onto #4.......pressure spot some girls over think it. Got to remember they are only batting in the 1 spot once a game. Do they also have trouble when they lead off an inning deeper into the game. If not all mental.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Kids are strange. Last year DD asked coach not to have her leadoff if we were the visiting Team, she did not like being the 1st batter in a game. Leading off when we were the Home Team did not brother her. Coach ignored her and stuck her in the leadoff spot and worked thru her Issues with her.

Aug 2, 2008
All good points, maybe I'm over thinking it, lol. Only 1 has said she prefers not to bat lead off, so shes out. I will pick out of the other 2 depending on what I think is the best fit and go with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06