Last night one of my beginner pitchers "tried" to throw strikes.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
I don't let my beginner pitchers "try" and throw strikes.
They have to work on their mechanics and not worry about where the ball goes. I explain with time and good mechanics those strikes will come, relax and work hard and you will be rewarded.

Last night, another pitching coach was at the same park with me working with a beginner. She was teaching the bowling method and the little girl was about 20' feet from her dad leaning over and reaching out and soft tossing high rainbows to her dad. Every time one went into his mitt the dad and coach praised her.
The dad even commented at one time that she was much more accurate with her (pitching coach) than her other one so they liked her a lot. I was seriously biting my lip

Of course my pitchers are over there bouncing pitches off the backstop:eek:

During one lesson I was correcting one of my beginners when she uttered those words--"But, but.....it was a strike!?".
I reached over and took the ball out of her hand and then coach pitched a beautiful arcing soft toss into her dad's mitt.
I said, "My grandma can throw a strike, my sister can throw a strike, that mom standing over there can probably throw a strike, I'm sure even your dad can throw a strike.
Bases loaded, my team is winning by a run, 2 outs, #4 hitter up to bat, what did I just do? Did I just throw a strike or did I just let her hit a grand slam and cost us the game?"--of course for a little extra theatrics I was pretending to watch the ball sail over the fence as I said grand slam--

We all got a good giggle out of that and she went back to focusing on her mechanics and not "trying" to throw strikes.
I made sure she got plenty of "great jobs" after using good mechanics whether they went in the zone or not.:)

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
You make a very good point that proper mechanics are preferred over "just throwing strikes". And I have always been of the mind-set that new pitchers should throw hard (with good mechanics) instead of worrying about the stike zone. However, its a dilemma for team coaches who don't have the patience for a player who isn't consistenly finding the strike zone. They may not give the new pitcher the much needed time in the circle to get the game experience. When my DD first learned to pitch, she worked her tail off to get the occasional inning in during the season (while she got a strike out or two each inning, she also hit as many batters). Since there were a couple of other girls on the team who "just threw strikes" and had some "success" in the games, my DD didn't see nearly as much time in the circle as she would have liked. Fast forward, a couple of years, and most of those "just throw strikes" pitchers are now playing a different position and my DD is the #1 pitcher. DD and I took the approach to look long term vs. short term success.

Jul 26, 2010
Sounds like you did a great job, Jojo.

I've always felt that we should get the kids to throw hard, no matter what. If they're always throwing hard, then when you correct a mechanical issue, you only have to correct it once. If the kid is backing off and trying to be accurate, then when they try to throw hard you often have to fix the same problems all over again. In the longrun, everyone wins if the kid throws hard.

-W

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
My DD started the exact same way. I tried coaching her in winter ball a few years ago. I found myself going to the mound and pleading to just get the ball over the plate. It was a tough spot. Let her keep walking batters? I knew her mechanics were improving. I had other girls who could "get it over". I ended up giving her less innings, just so I didn't put her through the "get it over" coach anymore. She eventually put it together and is right where she needs to be. That has to be the most difficult part of coaching. Letting a girl struggle pitch after pitch, when you know it is exactly what she should be doing. The temptation to just tell them to get the ball over the plate is strong. Looking back, I definitely could have handled her better. Thank god she still talks to me. I would imagine that most pitching coaches feel a similar frustration when their pitchers struggle in games. But hey, that championship trophy from 10U rec ball would look good on my mantle.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Ahh, the age old rec coach's dilemma, put in the strike thrower, who has no future, for the sake of the poor kids standing in the field or use your flame thrower, who can't get it over, and watch the game come to screeching halt as the she throws ball after ball. Been there too many times. We actually won the LL District one year when, in the final, the other team's ace fell apart. She and her lob ball replacement walked us to a mercy rule win in just one inning (5th). It was not pretty, they were the home team, I made sure we did not celebrate until we got to our cars.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Right on, Jojo. When I'm teaching beginners, I usually have them start by throwing into a screen or at a wall. I tell them if they keep the ball in the building (when we're indoors) they're doing fine. When I let them use a catcher, I say only if they don't focus on getting the ball to the catcher. The minute I catch them doing that, I'll take the catcher away and it's back to throwing at the screen.

Accuracy is not a goal. It's a result. Do the right things at the right time and the ball will go where it should.

May 8, 2009
Florida
My DD (she prefers Dollar Drainer BTW) helps me with the local rec league clinics. We will get there early so she can warm up so come dmonstration time she is ready. As the girls arrive they will watch her throw and of course it becomes the example of what they might be able to get to. Also gives her "credibilty" with the parents. Always you will see the dads smiling when they throw the strikes - regardless of form. So we tell them about how proud DD is of the two holes she put in the wall where she takes lessons - neither of them where very close to me. But she was working on form. It helps to make them understand that missing is okay - all for a purpose. If DD can "miss" that bad, then they are okay and on the road to throwing like her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC