Last completed at bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2013
Ok...this one isn't situation specific. We play USFA here mostly, and I've had some light hearted banter with one of our local PU (very good umpire and good guy, by the way), about the difference of furthest removed vs last completed at bat for purposes of courtesy runner for pitcher and catcher when playing a straight 9 or 10 with no subs. At one time everyone used the term last completed at bat. Now they all use the term furthest removed. I understand what furthest removed is, and last completed as well....at least now I do. I thought last completed was the last player to go to the dugout, but was informed that the at bat was completed when the runner safely reached base and ball was in circle. Ok. Get that now. But here's the question. Other than the first inning, is there a situation where last completed can differ from furthest removed? Every time I give him a scenario he shoots me down. We've don't this over the past 3-4 tournaments, and I'd like to give him one. I want that beer he owes me when I get one! Lol. So what say you guys?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
A batter "completes her at-bat" when she either is called out without becoming a batter-runner (for instance, by an act of batter interference) or becomes a batter-runner (via batted ball, walk, hit by pitch, catcher obstruction, uncaught third strike, etc.) with teh right to advance to first base.

The fact that the batter "safely reached first base" isn't really relevant. Even if she was thrown out at first base, she still became a batter-runner when she hit a fair batted ball. He at-bat would be just a complte if she wasn't safe at first.

The ball getting back to the pitcher in the circle has zero to do with any of this.

(*Disclaimer: I realize that this is USFA and they have some pretty off the wall rules and interpretations. Maybe they have something different than the rest of the softball world.)

Jul 6, 2013
Understood. I guess my point was that once no longer the batter, she had completed her at bat. But it still begs the question...and I guess at this point I would say no...there is no instance when the last completed at bat and the furthest removed are not the same player???

Mar 26, 2013
They might be different players if there's a substitution after they completed their AB. For example, Player A makes last out and Player B is substituted for her on defense. This is one of the reasons why ITB rules place the batter scheduled to bat last that half-inning on 2B instead of the last out.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I would think the furthest removed and last batted out (in terms of using a courtesy runner) differs under the following circumstance:
#9 batter starts the inning and gets on base. #1 batter (a pitcher) subsequently gets on base. The courtesy runner would be the #8 batter since she is the furthest removed, but not the last completed at bat before the player you need a courtesy runner for. #9 is last completed at bat, but she cannot courtesy run because she is still on base.

Jun 22, 2008
Correct, wasnt thinking about runners already being on base. So yes, you would have to keep moving up in the batting order until you got to a player in the lineup who was not on base.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red