Lafayette Open Stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2008
I am trying open stance with my team and I do have a question??
When you are open do you open your left shoulder?
Also when you are open what angle should your front foot be?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not a Lafayette hitter but, a model my DD uses:
McCutchen_take.gif
McCutchen_highside.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am trying open stance with my team and I do have a question??
When you are open do you open your left shoulder?
Also when you are open what angle should your front foot be?

Do the 45 degree stretch and fire drill. It is what some of them are doing at bat. I assume you are talking a rh batter. The left shoulder should be coming down and in as the upper is coiling back around the rear leg. The left foot is to be whatever is comfortable, balanced, and no more.

A drill the Cajuns are doing with a fully weighted coiled rear side, front foot touching just enough to balance, and swivel the barrel from there.
cajunpractice_zpsef9b1533.gif

Dec 4, 2013
What's the age? I'd be a little leery with making an entire team change their stance. Open stances come in all types of varieties. There is no certain stance that fits for everyone....

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
^^^^^^ I have to agree with Spartans21. I don't think that changing everyone is a good idea. It still has to be comfortable for the player. I would not want to change a player that already hits well, just to conform to an idea.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
What's the age? I'd be a little leery with making an entire team change their stance. Open stances come in all types of varieties. There is no certain stance that fits for everyone....

Ya. Not even all of the Lafayette players do it. That and split I heard Lotief say several years ago that they were drills they do, and some are comfortable with taking it to at bats.

Feb 14, 2010
There is no cookie cutter approach to hitting. Every kids body is different and will react to some aspects better than others. Adjust your teaching to meet each players requirements.

My DD has an open stance and loves it. No other kid I work with does though.

Jun 1, 2013
I took a few of my kids to a ULL hitting camp (Coach Hubbard) 3 weeks ago. Even though he is a fan of the open stance he was not instructing girls to open up. He did discuss it some but the only girl that changed her stance was one of my kids. She had slower hands and it she saw immediate improvement with this stance. Although I do I like it, I am not changing any of my other girls to it because it is not right for everyone.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
It's an individuals hitting style choice. My DD went to this style after watching a couple of videos and gifs. DD tried it during batting practice a few times. Tried it out during a couple of games. Liked the results. DD has been batting this 'style' ever since. Kind of like what most kids do/did. See a hitter they like then try imitate them at the plate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves