Lacey Waldrop change up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
Hell my 9 year old was calling illegal pitches on her. And I don't care what anyone says, her crow hop DOES have a replant to it. IT is a true crow hop and should be called every time. It is not a harmless leap at all.

I'm with ya I thought it was pretty funny during the second game with FS they threw up the legal vs not legal pitch shot of her and the announcers were all ready to dazzle us with info but when they ran the comparison they were both illegal and the announcers just kind of went errrrrrrrr ahhhhhhhhhh???? on to the next thing.LOL

Jan 27, 2014
I Agree, her pitches were pretty fantastic. Her attitude was even better. I don't know how long she'll last against a team like the UofA or something but she is still an amazing pitcher!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
all the commentators were saying that if they are calling it illegal now, they should be calling it all year. they also commented on comparing a legal vs illegal pitch and it didn't gain the pitcher (nevin) any advantage. but, illegal is illegal. call it, blue!

Illegal used to be illegal. We used to have Illegal Aliens. Now they are Undocumented Workers or Dreamers. There used to be Illegal Pitches. Maybe soon we will have Non-Traditional Deliveries. Instead of an IP we will have an NTD. After all folks with NTD's just want to play like everyone else...

The poster child will be a player with an NTD throwing a riseball that does not rise, a fastball that does not move, not wearing a mask that her college coach forbids her to use.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Back to the original post. Waldrop seems to have a flip/back of hand change up. She also has an off-speed drop ball, and her normal speed drop ball. These three change of speeds are very effective for her.

One observation is that top D1 batters have a tendency to lay-off the first pitch change-up, and instead are looking for a faster pitch to drive hard to the outfield, especially with the short fences and hot bats.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Back to the original post. Waldrop seems to have a flip/back of hand change up. She also has an off-speed drop ball, and her normal speed drop ball. These three change of speeds are very effective for her.

One observation is that top D1 batters have a tendency to lay-off the first pitch change-up, and instead are looking for a faster pitch to drive hard to the outfield, especially with the short fences and hot bats.

They lay off it because it surprises them not because they distinguish it from other pitches and choose not to swing. That is giving them way too much credit. Unless the pitcher gives it away or they have picked her, it's virtually impossible.

Feb 7, 2013
They lay off it because it surprises them not because they distinguish it from other pitches and choose not to swing. That is giving them way too much credit. Unless the pitcher gives it away or they have picked her, it's virtually impossible.

I guess my point is that D1 batters seem to be very selective and are not in a hurry to swing at the first pitch, especially with the tight strikes zones at that level they can wait for a certain pitch in their "hitting window". I would be interested in seeing a chart on how many times the batter swings at the first pitch at the top D1 level. I think it would be a fairly low number compared to what you would expect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi