Knuckleballs possible?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
DD throws a double knuckle change that I call the flying saucer. Comes in with very slow 3/9 spin and dives. It spins so slow that it freaks you out when you are catching until you get used to it. Was shown it by a very successful P5 pitcher. DD has a huge hand for her age and Im sure that helps with control. She throws it full tilt. There is no telegraphing with the arm speed, however Im thinking a good third base coach might be able to pick it since she is currently struggling hiding the ball.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Others have mentioned hand size being a limiting factor for a true knuckleball, but I think what matters more is getting a knuckling effect. Basically you want as little spin as possible. There's gotta be a way to do that (on purpose, with consistency). Any pitching coaches know how?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Others have mentioned hand size being a limiting factor for a true knuckleball, but I think what matters more is getting a knuckling effect. Basically you want as little spin as possible. There's gotta be a way to do that (on purpose, with consistency). Any pitching coaches know how?
The big hands are because you need a grip similar to this on a 12" softball.

1589897851661.png

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I pitched modified for years in a summer league and the knuckleball was my main pitch. I have played around with throwing it using a windmill motion and found it much harder to get it to not spin. In modified it floated and danced a little, the speed that I could throw was right on the line it terms of having enough velocity to get good movement. I held the ball between my thumb and little finger with my index, middle and ring finger tips on a seam, no knuckles. I played in a couple of tournaments against a guy who was about 6'4" and he threw it fast enough to make it unhittable. But if you put any spin on it it's a cripple and comes straight in.

I played modified for several years and can remember two guys that threw knuckle balls often. Very difficult to hit... I played around with it some myself, but it did not move anything like the other guys.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs