Knuckle changeup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
We tried a few different ways of having my dd throw the change that didn't involve putting her knuckles on the ball - unfortunately she just couldn't bring down her speed enough to be effective. At one point she was throwing her CU with 3 knuckles on the ball but now she just puts 2 on and throws it like a dropcurve. It still has decent spin and has a nasty bite to it. So far has been extremely effective for her. I am all ears though and open to suggestions!

Apr 28, 2014
DD has been working on a knuckle change for about a year. When it works it's deadly, when it doesn't it won't get hit hard. I think it's an effective pitch to mix in. She used the Softball Spinner puck every day for a few weeks to get the spin down. She also uses a Gyro ball we bought off of amazon to strengthen her wrist and forearm
Any feedback would be great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPdbjZoR_hc

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We tried a few different ways of having my dd throw the change that didn't involve putting her knuckles on the ball - unfortunately she just couldn't bring down her speed enough to be effective. At one point she was throwing her CU with 3 knuckles on the ball but now she just puts 2 on and throws it like a dropcurve. It still has decent spin and has a nasty bite to it. So far has been extremely effective for her. I am all ears though and open to suggestions!

A good knuckle ball should not have much spin. Have her push the ball deeper into her palm, stiffen her wrist and "push" the ball out of her palm vs. a wrist snap. Pick up as many finger as she can and still maintain enough control over the ball with a full speed arm swing. Two fingers up with a full speed arm motion is better than 3 fingers up with a 75% arm speed because she slowed her arm down to keep her grip on the ball.

Feb 7, 2013
For what its worth, DD throws a knuckle curve as an off-speed pitch (5-7 mph off the curveball speed) which is effective, mostly thrown down and away to right-handed batters. Agree with riseball that the change-up should have spin and look a lot like other, faster pitches to be most effective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi