Knuckle Change-up.....Is it being taught?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD has tried the flip, circle, push and knuckle change. The only one she can control with good accuracy is the knuckle. She is a big girl with long fingers. As her catcher in lessons I am always amazed at the type of spin/wobble the ball has. I can't imagine what batters are thinking as they see it come at them.

hal is correct, batters do not like this pitch.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
To throw an actual knuckle ball with a 12" ball requires a pretty big hand. The goal is to have no rotation. In the video it would appear that she's gripping like that just to take off speed and not nescicerally rotation.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
To throw an actual knuckle ball with a 12" ball requires a pretty big hand. The goal is to have no rotation. In the video it would appear that she's gripping like that just to take off speed and not nescicerally rotation.

Yes, totally agree. My dd is still on the 11" ball so it's a little more doable. She was taught to hold with her index and middle fingers in the knuckle position, but had trouble holding onto the ball so we went to just the index finger and that worked much better for her smaller hands. I know when she throws it most of the time is has some spin. However there is an occasion where it comes off perfect and just floats.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Just like the so-called difference between submarine and slingshot pitching (there is none), or IR....posting here does not make it the only definition or term. And I don't get the sarcasm about a manual. Regular communication is always better than jargon when you talk nationally.
The name is wrong from what most people expect knuckle to mean. Even Carly, a professional, above says she uses a different term.

Confess to sarcasm, respectfully. I thought you were going Ump on me with the accuracy call. I don't know of any place to we can arbitrate it... I have a 10u DD. I use terms we make up, and personify to her. We teach my GDD 3u to say grUmp for ump & boo for blue... :{))

EP: we call it "YOUR change up"

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Change ups have a large variety of grips and releases... the bottom line is, did the pitch initially look like a fastball and did the pitcher effectively knock off approximately 25% of the speed?
A knuckle ball should ideally have no spin, which ultimately will make the ball dance all over.
I agree that a "knuckle change" is an oxymoron. I believe the kid simply uses this grip in attempt to take the snap off the release.

Sep 14, 2012
I teach all the girls I coach the knuckle change and everyone seems to pick up on it and take to it quickly. I used to throw a flip change for the longest time, but once I learned the knuckle I rolled with that and never looked back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1