Knuckle Change-up.....Is it being taught?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
I was watching a replay of Texas vs Hofstra the other day and saw Hofstra's pitcher, Galati, throwing the knuckle change very successfully. My daughter uses this as her change-up because she never could throw the flip change very consistent.

I like how you can see Galati's hand open completely wide at release which is how my daughter was taught to throw it. Of all you pitching gurus, is this pitch being taught as a change-up option or is the flip change the main change being taught?

[video=youtube_share;KGOHEIQICaM]http://youtu.be/KGOHEIQICaM[/video]

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
When you say knuckle change, do you mean palming the ball and pushing it instead of whipping?

My guess there is a few variations, but more of a palmed knuckle ball and when released it just floats with no spin. It almost just pops out of the hand at release. Just curious if any of you pitching coaches teach a knuckle ball type change. Thanks Ken!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD was taught a knuckle change up by her first pitching coach. The PC did not want her younger pitchers (DD was 10 at the time) to learn a backflip change because of the stress it puts on the growth plate in the wrist. DD still uses it as a 14U pitcher, but she also throws a backhand change because it is more deceptive. Knuckle balls are easier for a batter to recognize, but if thrown properly they are still tough to hit!!!

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
I teach this kind of change up, though I don't call it a knuckle. I've seen softball pitchers try to throw an ACTUAL knuckle like a baseball knuckleballer would, but I hate it. The ball is too big and it puts so much stress on the fingers.

Anyway, this push change up is a perfectly effective change up. I don't teach one exclusively; I tailor my choice to each student based on how her hand moves naturally and which she can command better. If you can command both this and a flip change, it's not even a bad idea to have both in your arsenal. They look and move differently.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
One thing the hitters were taught by instructors was to look for giveaway grips. The circle change up and the knuckleball were the two easiest to spot.

Look in the model grips for the flat fingered knuckleball. It is so fun to use. It looks like a peel drop / fastball grip and that is what they expect. It can dance a jig and tends to break in the direction of even a slight breeze. Simple and easy to throw.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
One thing the hitters were taught by instructors was to look for giveaway grips. The circle change up and the knuckleball were the two easiest to spot.

Look in the model grips for the flat fingered knuckleball. It is so fun to use. It looks like a peel drop / fastball grip and that is what they expect. It can dance a jig and tends to break in the direction of even a slight breeze. Simple and easy to throw.

Hal....my daughter has been working on this knuckleball as well. We've only been practicing it for a few weeks so it still has some refining to do.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Good for her. Tell her to not give up. Once she gets the wrist position and finger positin at release correct, she will have fun watching you try to catch it and the batters try to hit it.

Once she does, start working on throwing it fasdt, slow and in between. It will dance at all three speeds. The batters will NOT like her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan