Knob to the ball or barrel to the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
First, to answer the OP, I teach point the knob, deliver the barrel.

Old School? I'm about as "old school" as they come and this launch angle stuff is nothing more than what Ted Williams talked about and illustrated in The Science of Hitting. I've taught that stuff along with some other stuff ever since I began coaching. That was a few years ago! I taught the same regardless of whether I was coaching my HS baseball or HS softball teams. I want gap to gap line drives and not ground balls. We often get the big fly. My dd grew up hitting that way and hit 50 big flys in college.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Got it thanks. So Teacherman hip slip one legged TTB torque wrists. And that is not a slight just my limited understanding of what the style is.

What does HLP stand for? I cannot find the acronym in the links.

High Level Path?

HLP = High Level Pattern. It's the term TM uses to market the swing patter he teaches.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Remember that when anyone says that they have this all figured out, regardless of what they call it, no person has this all figured out. JMHO!

Totally understand and agree. This website is proof of that. 10 people can look at the same video and see thing 10 different ways. Kinda funny but also makes it hard to try and figure things out.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Totally understand and agree. This website is proof of that. 10 people can look at the same video and see thing 10 different ways. Kinda funny but also makes it hard to try and figure things out.
It does make it harder to figure it out but, then again, it makes it easier. If a person gets caught up in all of the verbiage and changes in what everything is called, they will never figure things out. If you get caught up in arguments between experts, you will become lost. Find posters who post thoughts that make sense to you and see what they are doing. Follow their posts and look at video that they post. That will shorten the learning curve. There are some posters here that I follow and want to see what they are doing. There are some, to be honest, that I hardly ever read. Once you get a good idea of who's stuff you like, give those ideas/concepts a try yourself. I remember back in the day everyone was talking about "feel." I never understood that. How could I know what a MLB player felt? If I could not know that then how could I take swings and say that I felt what they felt? You see what I mean? Instead, try some swings then try to have your dd take some swings. In the end, whatever you decide to try has to then make sense to your dd. Good luck.

Dec 11, 2010
Love the above comment by Cannonball.

I’d add that I personally like posters that say “here is what I would do to fix that” or “here is what I did and it helped”.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
It does make it harder to figure it out but, then again, it makes it easier. If a person gets caught up in all of the verbiage and changes in what everything is called, they will never figure things out. If you get caught up in arguments between experts, you will become lost. Find posters who post thoughts that make sense to you and see what they are doing. Follow their posts and look at video that they post. That will shorten the learning curve. There are some posters here that I follow and want to see what they are doing. There are some, to be honest, that I hardly ever read. Once you get a good idea of who's stuff you like, give those ideas/concepts a try yourself. I remember back in the day everyone was talking about "feel." I never understood that. How could I know what a MLB player felt? If I could not know that then how could I take swings and say that I felt what they felt? You see what I mean? Instead, try some swings then try to have your dd take some swings. In the end, whatever you decide to try has to then make sense to your dd. Good luck.

So, who are your top 3 posters that you would follow for hitting advice. You can include yourself if you wish.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA