KJ working on riseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
btw, what is the optimal angle of the hip at release? 30 or 45 degrees?

I believe that the optimal angle of the hip at release is somewhat dependent on the pitcher and the pitch. I don't necessarily believe that either of these two (K or M) has "the optimal" hip angle. I believe they both need to keep the shoulders more open in learning to throw a true riseball (one with little, if any, curve). I think if the shoulders remain a bit more open on the rise that the hips won't close as much.

Mar 10, 2009
According to a very respected P coach at a perennial top 20 program that did a mini-clinic fro me back in April, a study of 10 high level P's was done and it was discovered that the optimal release angle for the hips was approximately 52 degrees. This coach had some other very interesting angles culled from the same study that dealt with launch angle of the drive leg, as well as ball position at stride foot land. I have no idea who the 10 P's were for the study.

Sep 10, 2013
According to a very respected P coach at a perennial top 20 program that did a mini-clinic fro me back in April, a study of 10 high level P's was done and it was discovered that the optimal release angle for the hips was approximately 52 degrees. This coach had some other very interesting angles culled from the same study that dealt with launch angle of the drive leg, as well as ball position at stride foot land. I have no idea who the 10 P's were for the study.

do you have a link to this 'study'?

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
52 degrees. Hmmm. Sounds a bit suspicious, so specific. I'm betting it's the average of those ten pitchers. I once read that 73.66 percent of all statistics are made up.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The number is from the 1996 Steadman-Hawkins report ....

5a3tdh.jpg

2ish401.jpg

p.s.
Note variation from 18-to-87 degrees.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
While a 52-deg hip angle at release was considered the 'average' from the Steadman-Hawkins report, what should also be noted is that only about 20% of the pitchers were close to this value (see 'red' arrows below). The hip angle at release ranged from 18-deg to 87-deg.

vpi9z4.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
No hard facts but I've always heard anywhere from 45-52 is optimal.

Yes, Michelle Smith commonly quotes that range while serving as a color commentator, and often she will reference her source as the Steadman-Hawkins study .... which you can see from the above chart only had a low percentage of pitchers that realized that range at release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes