Just how good are you coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2010
Do you have the guts to ask just how good or bad you are? I've considered handing out an "anonymous" questionnaire - at end of each season - to my girls (2 teams) asking them to rate my skills as a coach in various categories, such as:

1) Rate (1-10, low to high) how has the coach helped improve your skills: hitting, fielding, base running, etc.
2) Rate coach's ability to motivate you to play at your best.
3) Rate coach's fairness with you and teammates.
4) Rate coach's game decisions and strategy.
5) Rank what you believe are your coach's priorities: winning, improving softball skills, improving life skills.
6) Rate your overall experience on this year's team.
8) List your what you like most about this year's team.
9) List what you like least about this year's team.
10) What are your suggestions for improving the experience of playing on this team.

What are your thoughts on handing out this survey? - assuming that I will objectively attempt to use this information to improve my skills where I get consistent responses. Am I just asking for trouble? Also, what else might you ask or would you leave off of survey?

May 23, 2010
Michigan
Do you have the guts to ask just how good or bad you are? I've considered handing out an "anonymous" questionnaire - at end of each season - to my girls (2 teams) asking them to rate my skills as a coach in various categories, such as:

1) Rate (1-10, low to high) how has the coach helped improve your skills: hitting, fielding, base running, etc.
2) Rate coach's ability to motivate you to play at your best.
3) Rate coach's fairness with you and teammates.
4) Rate coach's game decisions and strategy.
5) Rank what you believe are your coach's priorities: winning, improving softball skills, improving life skills.
6) Rate your overall experience on this year's team.
8) List your what you like most about this year's team.
9) List what you like least about this year's team.
10) What are your suggestions for improving the experience of playing on this team.

What are your thoughts on handing out this survey? - assuming that I will objectively attempt to use this information to improve my skills where I get consistent responses. Am I just asking for trouble? Also, what else might you ask or would you leave off of survey?

It's as good idea, but stay away from asking two questions within one question. For example, "fairness with you and your teammates". The player might feel that you are fair with her, but not teammates. Number 5 might be re-worded: Rank your coach's priorities. All in all, a good start.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Good stuff. Our organization does this after each season for all coaches and assistants. I've gotten feed back anonymously that never came up face to face. I think the anonymous does make some folks more comfortable in being honest. I think it really helps get as much feedback from players and parents as possible so we can continue to improve in the directions they need us too.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
You need to add another question. 11) How much of a lobotomy should the coach get? (10=full, 1=unnecessary due to lack of any brain matter)

Seriously - there is a good chance that some of the feedback will be on target and productive, if you can review it with thick skin, be honest with yourself, and accept that there will be some baseless sour grapes. To that end, it might be best to review it with your coaching staff or organizational director.

Jan 15, 2009
As an organization we used survey monkey to allow the parents and players to rate their experience and their coaches in several areas and we reviewed those as a board after the season. I think feedback is a key factor in making improvements. The hard part is that the same people who will spend 100's of hours driving their kids to softball are only about 25% likely to fill out a survey that takes 10 minutes and if you don't get a pretty big sample from the team you don't really know much.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Our rec ball organization uses a survey to get a handle on coaches
as we try to continually grow the program. With no survey in rec it is obvious
that you do not keep a coach in the mix who has few players return to play
especially at the younger ages.

As a travel coach, surveys should not be necessary as we spend so much time together as a team.

A friend of the family whose DD was on a 'crazy dad' team this summer ambushed the coach
with a parent intervention after a practice with 6 girls threatening to leave if he didn't lighten
up. Two weeks later, the travel club sent him packing after he and another coach threw fists
during a practice. In that instance, maybe a survey would have been needed, as a parent, I would never
put DD into that situation, but different strokes for different folks i guess. THE GAME IS FOR THE GIRLS!

Feb 9, 2009
I'd be interested to see what would come back...
My team is 10U, and at the end of their first select tournament, one of the coaches asked them what they liked best about the tournament. We, as the adults, were surprised at the answers....
The food
The playground
Going to Chili's during our break
The cheers they learned
getting new headbands
etc

You get the picture, right??? Playing softball was why they were there, but it was the other stuff that made it fun!

Aug 16, 2010
CJV, et al - I agree that it is probably much more useful in rec ball situations; however, I have a school team (Jr. High, 12-15) and a 14u select team. I'm hoping they will say things in the survey that they might not say otherwise. Also, if we are doing something right - I would want to reinforce that (they never tell you when you do something right).

This came to mind over the last few months, I began helping my middle DD (10) with her new 12u select team. Their coaches are great skill people - much better than me. However, I've come to notice that they lack motivational skills and also, seem wanting in the strategic arena. This weekend they missed the opportunity to make some subtle adjustments and put on some plays that I know would have worked in our favor. After each game - a lot of criticism on skill deficiency and not a lot of praising for effort and the like. I'm not complaining - I truly think my DD is going to be a much better player after having played with them a year or two. However, I'm wondering how the older kids I coach (who have been in the game for 5+ years with various coaches) view my strengths/weaknesses and how I can use that information to improve where they at least perceive my weaknesses. I say perceive because perception is reality in that instance - you may know how to motivate, strategize or teach skills but if your not doing it what does it matter.

Oh and by the way - Stephanie - you are right. When I asked her how she liked her new team - she responded she loved it!!! When asked why - it was because the girls were nice to her, they picked cool uniform colors and I wasn't her coach (I yell at my own - but not yours - that's rooms for a whole different topic).

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2010
One of my DD's fondest memory from last season was the continental breakfast in our hotel at ASA state!

First year 10U TB and of all the things she experienced.

I'd be interested to see what would come back...
My team is 10U, and at the end of their first select tournament, one of the coaches asked them what they liked best about the tournament. We, as the adults, were surprised at the answers....
The food
The playground
Going to Chili's during our break
The cheers they learned
getting new headbands
etc

You get the picture, right??? Playing softball was why they were there, but it was the other stuff that made it fun!

Our HS coach just retired from coaching the girls. My DD sat down the night she told them and wrote her a 3 page, heart felt letter. She outlined every single detail, going back 3 years, of what she learned from her, how she has grown as a player/person, etc., without me spurring her to do so. I thought she did a fantastic job - didn't even tell me about it until she had given it to the coach.

As a parent, I feel that y'all need to know how the girls feel about their experiences with you, whether positive or negative. DD obviously didn't do it annonymously, but special circumstances. I think had surveys been in play years ago, this particular coach would have known how the players truly felt. JMHO Fabulous idea!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles