Journey so far

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2010
I've been lurking for last couple of years and have thoroughly appreciated everyone's comments about their hunt of college softball for their DD.

My DD is a Junior LHP in the midwest. She's got the reputation for being a top student and a competive pitcher. That combined with being older makes me the target of "what are you doing for her to get a college scholarship" question by quite a few people. I point them towards Aradi's book and try to give them an honest view of the process. We have spent a lot of time and thought over the last 15 months and have just begun to start seeing the fruit of the labor.

I see a real gap in our town in the education process for parents of kids who have college athletic apirations. Shoot, there is a real gap in the education of parents of kids who just want to go to college. My college search 25 years ago is night and day different than it is for kids today...

Anyway, below is email that I sent to a friend who's DD is a year younger. If someone cares to provide some feedback/comments on it I'd appreciate it and will continue to pass along the knowledge I've already gained from this forum...

------

Don't worry --- it's easy to be overwhelmed. If the college brochures haven't begun to arrive by the dozens each day they soon will.

Last year I didn't know where to tell DD to start. I wasn't sure if she could play in college and if she could, what level. Pitching coach suggested *maybe* low level D1, mid tier D2, D3 and NAIA. Which level would correspond to how much she would contribute to the team. That opened up a lot of schools. DD recognized that she didn't want to put 20+ softball hours a week in for a team where she wasn't going to be playing regularly. Then it became a process of where she wanted to go to college for education's sake. What size, location and quality. I think she is still undecided on those questions.

Looking over on the results pages of the college softball teams it appears as if the quality of D2 and D3 teams really varies. Then, cross section that with average ACT/GPA for Freshman it seems that D2/NAIA schools aren't at the top academically. D1 and D3 schools on the other hand can have both. Quality academics and team. We've mostly ruled out playing at D1 because of her desire to really contribute to the team. So that leaves D3. The problem with D3's is that they are almost all private schools.

That means it comes down to dollars. Re-enter D2/NAIA schools because they can provide athletic money -- but rarely do they have top tier academics. She is interested in a career path that will probably include graduate school so blowing the wad on undergrad may not make sense. So maybe a degree from a D2/NAIA won't hurt her grad school choices that much.

What we don't know is will D3 academic money be enough when compared to just going to a good public college that will have a fraction of the debt after graduation.

Arghhh... the further you go into this it just seems to get less clear.

I will say though, the biggest thing to understand is that unless someone is on a true gold team and a complete over the top stud, coaches won't "just find you". But, even stud players have to market themselves to the coaches that don't happen to come to their games. What this translates into for the good but not great players is that they have to pick the school and market themselves. Somehow, someway get the information to the coach and get them to watch her play. This can be at camps or tournaments.

Tournaments, especially travel tournaments are one of the opportunities to capitalize on your dollars spent to get college coaches to come watch. Last year, we didn't use every out of town tournament to contact the coaches. We thought that if it wasn't a "college exposure" then we shouldn't send out invitations to coaches. That was probably a mistake. If you travel near a coach invite them to the tournament. With a letter, postcard, something. Just not solely by email.

There needs to be a reality check for almost every college bound athlete. I've heard quite a few families say that they wish they had not spent the money on sports because nothing came of it. If the team fees and travel expenses were an investment into a college scholarship then I'd have to say that is a bad investment. In my opinion the goal should be the journey not the destination. In other words, the experiences gained when someone develops into an athlete, the hard work, the practice, learning how to pick yourself up, and life lessons from games should be the goal. NOT a discounted college tuition.

IMHO, a part time job when you are 16 and working your way through college can accomplish more financially than going after the rare athletic money for college sports. And probably teach you many of the same life lessons. That is, unless you are one of the few total stud college softball players.

Getting to play after high school because you love the game and getting some level of compensation for it should really be just the icing on the cake for most athletes.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
There needs to be a reality check for almost every college bound athlete. I've heard quite a few families say that they wish they had not spent the money on sports because nothing came of it. If the team fees and travel expenses were an investment into a college scholarship then I'd have to say that is a bad investment. In my opinion the goal should be the journey not the destination. In other words, the experiences gained when someone develops into an athlete, the hard work, the practice, learning how to pick yourself up, and life lessons from games should be the goal. NOT a discounted college tuition.

I'm surprised to read this and maybe I shouldn't be. Do people really believe the money they invest in sports for their kids is going to pay dividends? I don't. I'm pretty sure our family spends more on softball then almost everyone else in our community but I have no delusions of full ride scholarships at the end of it. It's no different then all the money I spent on band for my older daughter. 3,000 dollar clarinet. Trips with the band. Clarinet lessons. Piano lessons. I'm pretty sure I've got over 15,000 bucks invested in music. I'm pretty sure right now there will be no full ride music scholarship.

But, I don't regret a single dollar. Wish I hadn't spent the 200 bucks on the composite bat? No way. The look on my kids face when she uses that bat to smack a single down the third base line is priceless. Wish I hadn't spent 3,000 bucks on a clarinet. No way. The look on my kids face after she delivers a beautiful solo during a band concert if priceless.

It's the journey. Not the destination. Kids need something to hold onto when they go through school nowadays. They need an activity they can be involved in to give back to their community and give back to themselves.

Jul 26, 2010
Sadly, EP Dad, yes, people really believe that. Out here, that dependency seems to break a bit on ethnic boundaries, so I'm wondering if it doesn't have a lot to do with these families automatically assuming that their kids will not get by on academics alone, or that sports is the only way for them to achieve the American dream.

I've walked away from quite a few conversations with parents who had almost a religious degree of belief in this "investment". It's sad.

-W

Mar 31, 2011
My DD is 12 and I hope that the massive amount of money I am spending on equipment, lessons, clinics and travel will help her learn about dedication, teamwork, commitment and friendship which will result in her having better self confidence, motivation, self worth and hunger to live her life.

At this point I hope her career is over after HS. But it will be her choice. I will pay for her to go to college and have whatever experience she chooses to have, as long as she builds a foundation for her life. If it is softball, so be it.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
If the team fees and travel expenses were an investment into a college scholarship then I'd have to say that is a bad investment. In my opinion the goal should be the journey not the destination. In other words, the experiences gained when someone develops into an athlete, the hard work, the practice, learning how to pick yourself up, and life lessons from games should be the goal. NOT a discounted college tuition.

Great post....I absolutely agree with you, and I also agree that there are plenty of families that DO think it is all for a college scholarship. I know some of them.

I know when my daughter is done, whether it be after HS or college, she will be a better person all around having played the game at the higher levels, with the dedication, sacrifice, and work that entails.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Great post!
I talked to 7 different BIG college coaches (sec, big ten, pac ten,) at clinics in the last month. The first thing EVERY coach said when asked "what if a girl would like to play for you?" Every single coach answered with "Come to our camps!" "We are too busy and don't have a large enough staff to come watch very many games."

Oct 9, 2010
Thanks for the affirmations. It's relieving to know we are doing mostly the right things.

DD attended a D2 pitching camp this weekend. It was only a 2 hour camp, 6 hours of driving (3 each way). The time shared in the car is yet another reason to invest time and money in this sort of thing. In 10 years I'll be craving every call and visit from her.

One more thing that I can add to this is for the aspiring recruits to ask bold questions of the coaches. This can be intimidating for the girls to do, but it's important. And, as long as the questions are valid and aren't impertinent I think it can help. For instance, this weekend DD asked the coach what her plans were for 2013 pitchers. A year ago DD was wayyy to nervous to walk up to a college coach and ask a question. Now she's more accustomed to it and not reluctant to engage the coaches at all.

Of course, the answer she got wasn't what she wanted to hear. The coach said they were focusing on other positions first for 2013 but still they wanted to come watch her pitch in May at the big tourney in KC.

We both commented on the way back home that it would be a lot easier if she was actively being courted by several schools. I didn't share this with her but there is yet another life lesson in this process. Specifically, the one that will hopefully come after her school career is completed --- pounding the pavement getting a job.

Oct 25, 2009
I'm surprised to read this and maybe I shouldn't be. Do people really believe the money they invest in sports for their kids is going to pay dividends? I don't. I'm pretty sure our family spends more on softball then almost everyone else in our community but I have no delusions of full ride scholarships at the end of it. It's no different then all the money I spent on band for my older daughter. 3,000 dollar clarinet. Trips with the band. Clarinet lessons. Piano lessons. I'm pretty sure I've got over 15,000 bucks invested in music. I'm pretty sure right now there will be no full ride music scholarship.

But, I don't regret a single dollar. Wish I hadn't spent the 200 bucks on the composite bat? No way. The look on my kids face when she uses that bat to smack a single down the third base line is priceless. Wish I hadn't spent 3,000 bucks on a clarinet. No way. The look on my kids face after she delivers a beautiful solo during a band concert if priceless.

It's the journey. Not the destination. Kids need something to hold onto when they go through school nowadays. They need an activity they can be involved in to give back to their community and give back to themselves.

Hope you don't mind but I'm going to post a copy of your post on another site I frequent. This is a great message! I'll give you credit, of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45