Journey so far

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2011
I know there are kids out there getting a lot of bucks to play ball, but that wasn't the case for our dd. We spent a lot of money on equipment, travelling, hitting and pitching lessons, just like everyone else out there. She was recruited by a couple of big D1 schools, Washington and Tennessee, but in the end opted for a walk-on role at Arizona State (she was recruited at one of their summer camps). They came up with book money as a freshman, but she got a Federal grant that was worth more and had to turn the athletic money down to get it. She rode the pine freshman year, playing 4 defensive innings and she had 16 AB's. Last year her team won the WCWS and she hit 3 homers. Her maturity and confidence have grown so much over these past three years, it's been wonderful to watch. She's become a leader on the team which is so hard to fathom since she almost quit in her freshman season. I'll be paying back student loans 'til I die I think, but every dime has been worth the ride. Softball has given her something money can't buy and I know she will continue to do great things because of the life skills she has learned through the game.

May 7, 2008
My couple of suggestions are simple because I too believe it is a journey with my DD, the windshield time and talks we had while driving at midnight or later returning from a tournament were priceless. She had some opportunity to play some D1 but more as a hitter than a player and she wanted to play but school was important also. She chose a smaller school, she is just as proud or more of her Academic All Conference as she is to her First Team All Conference, plus all the records she broke as a Freshman. Now entering her sophomore year I see a more mature young lady but still my DD, someone who is totally happy she chose the school that fit her needs both academically and for softball. Tell your DD to go where they can succeed and be happy. It is important because baring something silly my daughter has approximately 150 games left in her career, but she has 40 plus years of work games remaining. :)

To the Dads out there or even the Moms when you are looking at a school interested in your DD be sure to take all the free lunches these schools offer you.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Another great thread.

I'm going to go at it this route. There isn't one minute of time I've spent with my DD over the last few years working with her at softball it has been for the most part great quality time. I don't have to worry about communication lines between us two. On top of it, she is focusing on grades to get into a good school, hardly ever misses school and has learned to become a good student.

She knows how to talk to adults now, isn't shy and has learned that if you work hard at something it gets easier. With a bit of coaxing she is even telling schools she is intrested and letting them know where she is going to be.

As for the money I've spent..LOL I'd spend it some where anyway. Better I do it on something we enjoy and has taught her the above on a wasted investment or just about anything else for that matter.