Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2019
It wasn't just me. That is why they changed the rule to include "bearing weight". If she was crow hopping, just call it... but she wasn't "gaining a second starting point" which is what a crow hop is....

Not true. NCAA rule 2014-2015 already had bearing weight wordings.

May 21, 2018
It wasn't just me. That is why they changed the rule to include "bearing weight". If she was crow hopping, just call it... but she wasn't "gaining a second starting point" which is what a crow hop is....
The pitcher is not allowed to hop or drag to a replant (crow hop)

To me, the way this is written suggests the replant is the "crow hop" not the second starting point. If they mean the second starting point is the crow hop, it would need to read something like: The pitcher is not allowed to hop or drag to a replant, gain a second starting point (crow hop) and push off her pivot foot.

May 16, 2016
The pitcher is not allowed to hop or drag to a replant (crow hop)

To me, the way this is written suggests the replant is the "crow hop" not the second starting point. If they mean the second starting point is the crow hop, it would need to read something like: The pitcher is not allowed to hop or drag to a replant, gain a second starting point (crow hop) and push off her pivot foot.
That's why I said, most people do not get past "Replant" when reading this rule, and apparently do not understand how COMMAs work.

10.5.5 The pitcher is not allowed to hop or drag to a replant (crowhop) <COMMA> gain a second starting point AND push off her pivot foot.

This is why I added the ASA definition, which is very similar to the NCAA rule.

ASA - "A crow hop is defined as the act of a pitcher who steps, hops, or drags off the front of the pitcher's plate, replants the pivot foot, establishing a second impetus. (or starting point), pushes off from the newly-established starting point and. and completes the delivery."

Now, you could assume the NCAA and ASA have entirely different concepts of crow hopping, or you could conclude that they are referring to the same thing, and the NCAA sentence needs to be considered in its entirety.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020
This is because people are looking at feet and not paying attention to hands. As previously pointed out.
Hard to tell from your picture, but her hands are separated, and she is not that far off the pitchers plate. See below for side view, where she is CLEARLY airborne, but hands are separate. The "Hesitation" or "Hitch" in the motion, is what gives the crow hop away. In the NFHS video, the man is basically starting his arm circle after landing (establishing a second impetus), Jordan's motion is continuous, with no hitch or pause. She leaps, but not a crow hop.
View attachment 25251

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma