Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Not to overstate the obvious, but the coefficient of drag for air << dirt.
Maybe a certain aerospace engineering professor might be able to tell us something more about that.
@pattar

Also - what does comparing 14U pitchers to one of the the best pitchers in college softball get you? Why would someone even rely on that?

The plural of anecdote is not data.
Yeah, dragging your foot on the dirt will slow you down more than "dragging" it through the air but the question is how much does the speed of the actual body (and not the arm) actually contribute to pitch speed..I would guess not much which is why Barnhill slowing down so much was a bit strange to me. I doubt dragging on the ground slows the body component of the velocity (bullet shot at 200 mph on a train going 100 mph will read 300mph to an observer on the ground..) down by the 3mph people said Barnhill lost when dragging. I guess it is possible.

Of course I don't know sh*& about pitching ( I have enough problems teaching my kid how to hit) so maybe by trying to drag her foot it changed the rest of her mechanics (eg in developing the stretch/resistance needed to "whip") too..

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
Watch PGF champ 18u on youtube. Nebraska Gold. Most of her pitches were step left throw right.

Jul 19, 2021
While true, that would be an awful message the NCAA would send. They'd basically be allowing the inmates to run the asylum. I do think the rule should be changed but, I don't think it should be done because people are refusing to abide by it.

You sure you replied to the right post Bill? :)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My DD's pitching coach, who pitched in the WCWS a long time ago, pulled all of her pitchers aside when the rule change for leaping was announced for TB and said she will *not* be teaching it at all. She feels it causes the pitcher to get too far forward in their mechanics. Who am I to argue with her? Her father coached at Hofstra for 25 years and has the softball stadium named after him. She also taught the 2019 SEC pitcher of the year, so she has a great pedigree. Also, the way she teaches mechanics prevents the trench digging we so often see with other pitchers, so the drag isn't causing much in the way of lost energy.

Jun 6, 2018
I got an idea!!!!! CHANGE THE RULE! Not in two years but TODAY! Call an emergency meeting and make an announcement. Problem fixed!

Yeah I am all for them coming out stating the rule is this and a pitcher will be warned twice, third time they are tossed from the game!

Don't change the rule for the rule breakers - How many games were played in the last 4 days? How many pitchers were out there throwing?

Seems like more illegal pitches called on 1 player than the entire rest of the pitchers over a 4 day span. So bust down on the rule breaker and make them follow the rules.

Seems pretty obvious that if an umpire had the stones to enforce the rule he could have called her out on 90%+ of her pitches, in that scenario there has to be a consequence and it starts with 3 strikes your out. Either fix your mechanics and play fair or get tossed.

May 17, 2012
She feels it causes the pitcher to get too far forward in their mechanics.

The best pitchers in the world don't seem the need to do that. Why is that? Not arguing with your PC, I am sure they are great, but that's what I would be asking.

It's so random and arbitrary. It's like telling a jump shooter to keep one of his toes on the court when he shoots. Why would you intuitively do that.

Sep 1, 2021
Lot easier to fix the problem by saying "I've got an idea, change the way you pitch! Today! Problem fixed!"

A handful of rule breakers and you want to change the rule to fit them. Changing rules that 800 pitchers (a guess) have ZERO problems following for the benefit of probably 10 pitchers is dumb. That would be like raising the speed limit for the benefit of Speedy Gonzales (Westwind) instead of having him adjust to the rules that everyone has no problem in following. The 10 rule breakers are the ones that need to make the changes.
I have no idea how you guys think this is only a handful of pitchers. I would say 50% of college pitchers break this rule. It may not be as blatant as Bahl, but the foot is above the level plane of the ground.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Maybe it's for the girls who aren't so polished? I genuinely don't know, but we will see her tonight, so I will definitely ask.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
My DD's pitching coach, who pitched in the WCWS a long time ago, pulled all of her pitchers aside when the rule change for leaping was announced for TB and said she will *not* be teaching it at all. She feels it causes the pitcher to get too far forward in their mechanics. Who am I to argue with her? Her father coached at Hofstra for 25 years and has the softball stadium named after him. She also taught the 2019 SEC pitcher of the year, so she has a great pedigree. Also, the way she teaches mechanics prevents the trench digging we so often see with other pitchers, so the drag isn't causing much in the way of lost energy.
Well, when my daughter went to her she was an HE pitcher, we walked away. That was 15+ years ago. I agree though that leaping is not a thing you teach, you just let them know they don't have to drag anymore.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I'm of the opinion pitchers learn to avoid the gap/hole in front of the rubber and it is a very common thing that happens.
Air under foot.
It just could quite possibly become habit'ish.
Also be more noticeable on a really nice level field like college. Groomed dirt.