Jackie traina warm up on balance beam

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 2, 2012
Watched Alabama vs Georgia game and they showed j train warming up use a balance beam. Has anyone ever use this before and what are the benefits.

Oct 22, 2009
I use a "stride board". It's just a 1"x4" x 6'.
Teaches my beginners how to stride straight and balance in my experienced pitchers. I use it off to the side for full out pitching as well.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
IIRC, they said it was to help her correct a problem she had coming off the power line. It was not something she normally does in the her warm-up.

My DD has the same problem sometimes. Planning on going to Home Depot and buy some lumber in the morning to make one

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I use a 6' long piece of scrap deck board (5/4) to have the girls pitch on as well as bat on for those who stride too far in or out.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I was surprised at how high it was built up - looked like 3-4 boards stacked on top of each other.

?? More incentive to stay on the power line. Stepping off has consequences!
Does seem like they would be more in tune with potentially tweaking an ankle. Guess they figure that it caused her so many problems last year; she either fixed it this year or injured herself trying.

One of the keys to pitching is that the mid section (core) of the body connects and stabilizes the upper torso with the lower torso. Using a balance beam is one way to help ingrain this. If you feel like your pitchers upper torso is loose and disconnected (significant lean toward 3rd for RHP or lean forward of vertical) a balance beam can help. Personally, I don't use a beam much 'cause in order to build in some decent muscle memory you may have to use a relatively high level of energy.......at higher energy on a beam I worry a bit about injury.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish