Ivy League vs Division I Recruiting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 17, 2020
Huntley, IL
Been doing some research and it looks like the Ivy League does not following the exact same rules as Division I for recruiting. I have seen all the information about the "Likely" letters. My questions is, since they are division 1, do they still have the same restrictions with the Junior year recruiting discussions? Not able to find any information on that.

Aug 21, 2008
Been doing some research and it looks like the Ivy League does not following the exact same rules as Division I for recruiting. I have seen all the information about the "Likely" letters. My questions is, since they are division 1, do they still have the same restrictions with the Junior year recruiting discussions? Not able to find any information on that.

Midwestdad, as mentioned above, the only MAIN difference between Ivy and other D1's is, they don't give scholarships. However, they have to follow the same recruiting rules as the other schools. You will see the coaches at some of the major recruiting tournaments. I would imagine recruiting would be more difficult at those schools than any other, not only are there no athletic scholarships but the academic requirements for entry are astounding.

May 27, 2013
As crazy as it sounds, the Ivies might have a slightly more academic leeway with getting recruits admitted when compared to other high academic programs such as MIT, UChicago, CMU, NESCAC schools, etc.

Feb 1, 2021
My DD was being recruited by Dartmouth at one point. It was a fun thought, but all I can say is gooooooood luck. All the same rules apply.

We got a good distance into the process, then it just stalled out. They flew all over the country more than any other school that looked at her just to watch my DD play. Its EXTREMELY competitive and that's not for admissions, that's just for a spot on the team. You REALLY have to want to go there because they test you over and over again until you just give up. I imagine others are the same. If you make it, its a true accomplishment.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I would imagine recruiting would be more difficult at those schools than any other, not only are there no athletic scholarships but the academic requirements for entry are astounding.

Not only that, but apparently only "need-based" financial aid. With an $80K/year price tag, the institutional definition of "need" must be much broader than what's required for federal or state grants. I could see how a good lacrosse team could be fielded regardless, but fastpitch tends to be a bit more middle class.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
As crazy as it sounds, the Ivies might have a slightly more academic leeway with getting recruits admitted when compared to other high academic programs such as MIT, UChicago, CMU, NESCAC schools, etc.
I actually think it's easier to get into an Ivy than these other schools. At an Ivy you can get acceptance with a 27 ACT score as long as the rest of the recruiting class has some pretty strong scores.

Mar 28, 2020
When my oldest was recruited by Columbia and Brown the rules for communication were the same (remember I am talking 2009/2010), but your girls had to be within 3% of the mean of the kids accepted within your class. Maybe that was a Columbia and Brown rule, but that was the rule back then.

The great thing was the scholarship was academic and not athletic. That is all I remember from back then.

Nov 5, 2014
DD is a 2022 Ivy league commit. As others have stated, outside of scholarships all the remaining recruiting rules are identical. Including the Sept 1 Jr year contact rules.

A couple of things I think are important to know. Admissions for student athletes are governed by a not publicly disclosed formula called the academic index. Standardized tests are a significant portion of the calculation. The index is applied to the recruiting class as a whole so the coach can have some flexibility with an individual recruit with a lower score if there are other recruits with higher scores to offset it. This is important because you may hear about a kid who was accepted to a school with lower scores but that does not mean that is the score your DD will need. A good rule of thumb though not exact is an average Act of 30 or SAT of 1400. The schools are very protective of exact details of the formula but the coaches will tell you when you are in their required range.

If you have specific questions about the process or individual schools feel free to PM me happy to share our experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi