Ivy League vs Division I Recruiting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2019
To echo what most have said, the Ivies don't have different rules. I was recruited by a few for football back in the dark ages. There really wasn't much of a difference between them and any other FCS school then either. Still counted as one of your 5 OVs (D-II and III didn't, at least back then) etc.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
DD had several Ivy offers but decided on a NEWMAC school.

The rules are the same as any other D1 school in terms of contact plus they have a conference requirement where the incoming class has to average out to the same standard score as the general admission average on standardized testing. As a simplified example, if the average for the school for admission is a 30 ACT score, and you have 4 incoming freshmen, that means their ACT scores need to add up to 120 (120/4)...

So they can take a pitcher with a 28 ACT as long as it is offset by an outfield with a 32. And they often do - if you want to go to an Ivy and are an outfielder you better be well above the average for ACT/SAT. The idea of this rule is that it gives the Ivies a chance to recruit against other D1 schools for the high-demand athlete positions (pitcher, catcher, QB, goalie, etc, etc...)

Ivy coaches at most schools can 'walk' a recruit into admissions - that gives you some preference within admissions as an athlete - but you still have to meet the minimum requirement to be admitted to the school. Note: Admission preference, not guaranteed.

Jun 8, 2016
As a simplified example, if the average for the school for admission is a 30 ACT score, and you have 4 incoming freshmen, that means their ACT scores need to add up to 120 (120/4)...
I can see why your DD was being considered by Ivies #applefallsnotfarfromtree :p

Apr 25, 2020
Been doing some research and it looks like the Ivy League does not following the exact same rules as Division I for recruiting. I have seen all the information about the "Likely" letters. My questions is, since they are division 1, do they still have the same restrictions with the Junior year recruiting discussions? Not able to find any information on that.
yes

Apr 25, 2020
As crazy as it sounds, the Ivies might have a slightly more academic leeway with getting recruits admitted when compared to other high academic programs such as MIT, UChicago, CMU, NESCAC schools, etc.
I would agree with this

Apr 25, 2020
DD had several Ivy offers but decided on a NEWMAC school.

The rules are the same as any other D1 school in terms of contact plus they have a conference requirement where the incoming class has to average out to the same standard score as the general admission average on standardized testing. As a simplified example, if the average for the school for admission is a 30 ACT score, and you have 4 incoming freshmen, that means their ACT scores need to add up to 120 (120/4)...

So they can take a pitcher with a 28 ACT as long as it is offset by an outfield with a 32. And they often do - if you want to go to an Ivy and are an outfielder you better be well above the average for ACT/SAT. The idea of this rule is that it gives the Ivies a chance to recruit against other D1 schools for the high-demand athlete positions (pitcher, catcher, QB, goalie, etc, etc...)

Ivy coaches at most schools can 'walk' a recruit into admissions - that gives you some preference within admissions as an athlete - but you still have to meet the minimum requirement to be admitted to the school. Note: Admission preference, not guaranteed.
I have seen 23 ACT go Ivy

Apr 25, 2020
When my oldest was recruited by Columbia and Brown the rules for communication were the same (remember I am talking 2009/2010), but your girls had to be within 3% of the mean of the kids accepted within your class. Maybe that was a Columbia and Brown rule, but that was the rule back then.

The great thing was the scholarship was academic and not athletic. That is all I remember from back then.
Ivy grants need-based aid only.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thank you future astrophysicist bullpen catcher... ;)

There is no doubt there is always at least one of the Ivies actively recruiting players that will never see the field for the purpose of gaming the academic requirements.

There seems to be a sort of cycle on which Ivies are currently caring about a particular sport or sports in general. Often associated with a new AD or a new head coach.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi