It's not all about speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
A good friend of mine (who happens to be a regular on this site) shared a recent story with me regarding his dd and her interaction with the HS coach. This kid has one of the best curve balls and rise balls you'll ever see out of a kid in HS... Her new HS coach said to NOT throw those pitches in HS!!!, and that they weren't needed until college.... Lol. He's instructed her to throw nothing but the fast ball and an occasional change up.
Some people do think speed is everything. What a moron!

i'd say, throw it anyway. if the HC asks why, say oops. as long as it wasn't a hit.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Lol... we said that too.
She's going to throw her rise whenever he calls a high fastball... honestly he won't know the difference. Outside fast ball...aka curve!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
A good friend of mine (who happens to be a regular on this site) shared a recent story with me regarding his dd and her interaction with the HS coach. This kid has one of the best curve balls and rise balls you'll ever see out of a kid in HS... Her new HS coach said to NOT throw those pitches in HS!!!, and that they weren't needed until college.... Lol. He's instructed her to throw nothing but the fast ball and an occasional change up.
Some people do think speed is everything. What a moron!

LOL! Coach James, You and I, my friend, talked with the same person today and heard this same, shameful, information. "You won't need your riseball or screwball until college.....! WHAT THE HELL! This particular coach is a special kind of stupid in this regard, isn't he.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
LOL! Coach James, You and I, my friend, talked with the same person today and heard this same, shameful, information. "You won't need your riseball or screwball until college.....! WHAT THE HELL! This particular coach is a special kind of stupid in this regard, isn't he.

And you won't need your putter until you make the PGA tour:rolleyes:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Several HS and TB coaches advised me not to have Jake throw a rise since college coaches prefer drop ball pitchers because a rise is not very effective in college.

Even duct tape won't fix stupid. Although it does muffle the sound a bit. :)

Apr 12, 2015
Several HS and TB coaches advised me not to have Jake throw a rise since college coaches prefer drop ball pitchers because a rise is not very effective in college.

Even duct tape won't fix stupid. Although it does muffle the sound a bit. :)

Jake does throw a pretty mean high dropball. :cool:

May 13, 2012
14 u. I had a pitcher that had "curve,screw" plus legit drop and CU. Did the curve and screw break, nope, we're they effective, yep. They provided a speed and change in look of delivery. She did locate very very well and topped out in low 50 at best. So to copy what others have said location and command combined with speed variations can be a pretty lethal combo. If the ball moves your in bonus land. DD in HS last yr regulated to FB and DB. She has an excellent horseshoe CU but coach thought flip is only cu out there so wouldn't use it. DD replaced fb with 2 seam and enough movement to survive the season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi