It's not all about speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
can you share your insane training? :) what type of running and conditioning does she do and how often?

Sure.

Here are the exercises she does 3 times per week. We split these up over 6 days... leg work 3 days and upper body the other 3 days.
We use dumbbells for most (* = Dumbbell exercise below).
I also have a Bio-Force home gym that we use for machine exercises. Its close to zero impact.
In addition I have a horizontal Leg Press and an entry level rowing machine.

Also sprints each day. Sprints are 50 yard dashes at full speed 10 times back and forth. Suicide style. 3-4 sets of 10 times

Lat Pull downs
Dumbbell bench press *
Incline Bench *
butterflies *
bicep curls *
triceps press
reverse flies *
shoulder press *
Ab Crunches weighted
calf raises on Horizontal Leg Press
leg press on Horizontal Leg Press
Leg Lift
Dumbbell Squats *
Shrugs *
Dead lifts *
Calf dumbbell *
Lunges *
Medicine ball sit ups and core work.

My DD did not workout at all before last fall. She has made nice progress in strength. Her speed (running) has not improved all that much but her stamina has increased dramatically.
She's picked up a good amount of speed on her FB. She doesn't love working out but now she is finally seeing some results and it keeps her going.

Jan 28, 2017
I was an OK college baseball hitter. A pitcher jumping out at a different power lines and the turnover drop motion would destroy me. I was very good at reading finger action of the hand back in the day but different arm path and lines would be tough for me.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
whether it's recognizing the grip,
yes.

pitchers not hiding the ball as long possible in the backswing,
sure.

or identifying a different follow through for different pitches.
no way.

I seriously doubt that trying to pick a pitch based upon what happens *after* the ball has been released is something that is achievable.
Even with a 50-52mph NCAA change up, there just isn't time to recognize a follow-through difference, and adjust to the pitch, and hit it well.

I do believe that differences that happen *before* release can, and are, used to gain an advantage for the batter.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
This is a good question. I know Hillhouse is a big proponent of making every pitch look the same but he played the game against men's elite batters. His thought is that batters are trying to gain an advantage, whether it's recognizing the grip, pitchers not hiding the ball as long possible in the backswing, or identifying a different follow through for different pitches.

As a pitcher, why not TRY to keep all the pitches look the same. IMO, the batters peripheral vision can pick up the hands finish after release even if they are focusing on the ball.

Buttermaker- my DD also has a flip change but she finishes more like a rollover drop which puts side spin on the changeup. Her arm and hand finishes low and towards her left hip, in a similar position as her other pitches. Just something to consider...

Regarding
my DD also has a flip change but she finishes more like a rollover drop which puts side spin on the changeup.
This in my view is not a flip change and is good advice. Very few people that I have seen throw a good consistent flip change.

Jul 17, 2012
I have seen more 10U flame throwers flame out than pan out. They seem to struggle with the sound of a ball hitting the bat as they get older. As far as speed goes, My DD cruises high 50s low 60s. She had a few bigger D1 coaches and mid majors running radar throughout her recruiting process. One even said he thought or hoped she would throw harder. Nearly none of the big schools hit her with the radar and most had interest when they seen the rise ball and all the swings and misses..

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Seen a flame thrower last night, unfortunately for us, she was not on our team. Haha, this kid had some serious heat for a 8th grader. Low 60's easy. Looked as fast as the varsity pitcher, she was mid 60's. Definitely IR for both, but the power for the jv kid was adduction, her move was from the top of the circle to the release, BOOM.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
A good friend of mine (who happens to be a regular on this site) shared a recent story with me regarding his dd and her interaction with the HS coach. This kid has one of the best curve balls and rise balls you'll ever see out of a kid in HS... Her new HS coach said to NOT throw those pitches in HS!!!, and that they weren't needed until college.... Lol. He's instructed her to throw nothing but the fast ball and an occasional change up.
Some people do think speed is everything. What a moron!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi