It just isn't fun anymore.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Why can't a pitcher hit and play other position(s) when not pitching? If she is in the top defensive 9 and top 9 offensively why someone want to keep her on the bench?
TB coaches have told her that they want to keep their pitchers healthy - they call them Circle Princesses. Pitchers don't take part in defensive plays (unless it's necessary.) The TB girls have secondary positions at 14u, but we're told that will probably change next year. DD likes to get down in the dirt and she's aggressive, which is opposite of how they want their pitchers to be.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
TB coaches have told her that they want to keep their pitchers healthy - they call them Circle Princesses. Pitchers don't take part in defensive plays (unless it's necessary.) The TB girls have secondary positions at 14u, but we're told that will probably change next year. DD likes to get down in the dirt and she's aggressive, which is opposite of how they want their pitchers to be.

Didn't read every post, read the first. I have a short attention span. My DD's been 'there' with her high school team . Freshman year pitched JV. DD look at varsity and seen what was a head of her as far as pitchers. Might/probably wouldn't see mound until senior year. Time for plan B. No more pitching for HS team following year. DD worked on fielding and hitting more. Sophomore year didn't even try out for pitcher. DD has started SS ever since. Have a plan B. Work on fielding and hitting. Again JMHO.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Didn't read every post, read the first. I have a short attention span. My DD's been 'there' with her high school team . Freshman year pitched JV. DD look at varsity and seen what was a head of her as far as pitchers. Might/probably wouldn't see mound until senior year. Time for plan B. No more pitching for HS team following year. DD worked on fielding and hitting more. Sophomore year didn't even try out for pitcher. DD has started SS ever since. Have a plan B. Work on fielding and hitting. Again JMHO.
Did your DD pitch on TB team? Or did she stop altogether?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why can't a pitcher hit and play other position(s) when not pitching?

To become "good" at the other positions requires a tremendous amount of time and effort. Pitchers don't have the time to stay sharp pitching and learn to play another position. As the team's get better, the only position a pitcher can play if not pitching is 1B.

Look at Jenny Finch in the Candrea drills video. She is a world class athlete, but it clear that she isn't even close to the other players when it comes to fielding.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XDwFdR4gluQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Did your DD pitch on TB team? Or did she stop altogether?
My DD pitched first year of 16u on TB & freshman year of HS. My DD wanted to play in college and will next year. DD knew as a pitcher she wouldn't have been a pitcher in college. DD decided time was best spent working on hitting and fielding. Each player is different. So, what was best for my DD's situation my not be best for your DD. Just sharing our path.

Last edited:

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Update: DD had a talk with her TB coach, and coach was just awesome about it. Told her she might be called to pitch from time to time, but he totally understands and loves her playing as utility. She felt like a weight was lifted and she's feeling like she knows herself more.

She kept apologizing for the time and money we've invested as a family in pitching. We just told her it was all part of the process, and we couldn't think of a better place to be than hanging with her and helping her work - so now we just change our focus. :) She was also really upset about "quitting," so we were careful about making sure she knows that we recognize that she isn't quitting; she's just narrowing her focus and changing her direction a bit. That seemed to help.

Thanks, all!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
FWIW- College coaches are interested in athletes, not "circle princesses". I think any coach that encourages specialization of a pitcher is hurting that kid's development as a player, especially at U14!

When you are watching the WCWS there are ex-pitchers in the field on every team (and ex-infielders in the OF, for that matter).

We had a new (U18) player join our TB org and I asked her where she played when she wasn't pitching, she seemed kind of lost at the question: "I dunno, I guess 2B.., yeah, 2B". I asked her if she would ever consider playing in college if they wanted her in a non-pitching role- she basically said no. I think she may be in for a rude awakening...

May 18, 2009
My DD is a pitcher and her secondary position is SS. She's damn good at both. Over the weekend I had guest players on the team. DD got to catch for a guest pitcher. After our two games another team asked her if she would want to play as a guest in their games. She played 1st, 3rd, and cf. I really don't think you specialize until college. I could ask DD to play any position on the field and she can play it at a high level.

Sep 10, 2013
As the team's get better, the only position a pitcher can play if not pitching is 1B.

DD pitches and has played just about all the IF and OF positions, but she has the least experience at 1B. If DD's not pitching, she's usually in the OF due to her speed.

i find your quote interestingly accurate at least for DD's HS. Team has 5 pitchers. but the main 2 pitchers rotate between the mound and 1B.

but why 1B?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles