It just isn't fun anymore.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
(Update, because I posted about DD being faced with a choice a couple months ago.)

DD is a freshman on varsity, playing 2nd for the first time. Has done a wonderful job there, made some great plays and been learning a lot. Every game ends with her saying, "Man I love this game! This team is fun!" The coaches are aware that she can pitch, but she hasn't ever done so for them. She's not considered a "pitcher" on this team.

So last night, we were already up 12-0, and it was the last inning. We were shocked to see her warming up, but probably not as shocked as she was. It was a last minute, "Aw, what the heck" decision from coach.

She walked her first batter. Understandable, as she was visibly terrified. Coach walked out to the circle, said, "Hey kid, if you throw up out here, who's gonna clean that up? Settle down and do what you know." So she did.

The rest of the team was awesome to her - and she went to work. A strikeout, a pop up, a dribbler to SS. Unfortunately, the Walk scored on a steal and an error to SS. Ending score 12-1.

She got in the car, cheeks flaming. "I don't think I want to pitch anymore. That felt terrible. It just isn't fun anymore." We gave our standard after game response: "We're proud of you. Let's go get FroYo."

I thought it would pass, but it hasn't. I feel the "I'm done" hanging in the air.

We're not going to push her either way, because she is making a decision based on the best factor I can think of: Are you passionate about it? Her answer now is, No. We'll see if it changes - but this kid fights for what she wants, and there was no fight there at all.

So I'm sad, but also proud that she realizes that she really wants to learn and grow at other positions. Bucket Dad isn't taking it real well, but it isn't about him - and he knows this. :)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Is she still practicing?

For DD the worst pitching slot is sometimes, she would rather not pitch at all.

(Like your DD she will be on the field if she is not pitching)

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Is there a chance that she would be a valuable pitcher to the team in later years? By the time she's a junior or senior?

We've have a situation on DD's varsity team that is interesting to me. We have 4 pitchers. The least-talented of the 4 gets 90 percent of the innings. That's because 1 is injured, and the other 2 just don't want to pitch. They still get a few innings here and there, but mostly in 'emergencies.'

I'm not sure what to think of it.

On one hand, if your heart is not in it, that's just the way it is.

On the other hand, I think the head coach needs to 'inspire' them to do what is best for their team. It's a travel ball attitude to decide what position you want to play. You find a team that lets you play the position you want to play. But in high school, it's about doing what's best for the team. It's about sacrifice and playing for something bigger than yourself. I don't blame the players for not wanting to pitch. I get it. I just think that if I were the head coach, I'd find a way to sell them on it.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Is she still practicing?

For DD the worst pitching slot is sometimes, she would rather not pitch at all.

(Like your DD she will be on the field if she is not pitching)
She will practice, but it's always followed by, "I suck at this." She doesn't suck. She's effective enough - but she isn't #1. If she worked harder at it, she would be that much better - but she'd rather take fielding and hitting lessons than pitch. She's been leaning this way for a while now, and TB coach flat-out told her that he sees her at other positions.

They have 2 juniors and 1 freshman on the HS team (freshman pitches on her TB team, too, and is better than she is). They really don't need her, and won't for a while - if ever. She'll play wherever coaches put her - either team - but it was more of a matter of fact, "Yeah I don't really want to focus on this anymore."

Is there a chance that she would be a valuable pitcher to the team in later years? By the time she's a junior or senior?

We've have a situation on DD's varsity team that is interesting to me. We have 4 pitchers. The least-talented of the 4 gets 90 percent of the innings. That's because 1 is injured, and the other 2 just don't want to pitch. They still get a few innings here and there, but mostly in 'emergencies.'

I'm not sure what to think of it.

On one hand, if your heart is not in it, that's just the way it is.

On the other hand, I think the head coach needs to 'inspire' them to do what is best for their team. It's a travel ball attitude to decide what position you want to play. You find a team that lets you play the position you want to play. But in high school, it's about doing what's best for the team. It's about sacrifice and playing for something bigger than yourself. I don't blame the players for not wanting to pitch. I get it. I just think that if I were the head coach, I'd find a way to sell them on it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She loves playing 2B and she hates pitching. She is a freshman in HS...it is time to let her do what she wants to do.

I understand where she is coming from...she plays every inning of every game. Why would she give that up to sit the bench 30% to 50% of the time to pitch?

Pitching is an entirely different game than the rest of softball. There is almost no skill overlap between the two. (At the high levels, pitchers are not even supposed to field the ball unless there is no alternative.)

Because they are so different, it is completely possible someone hates pitching but loves playing the field.

Why is this hard to understand?

Last edited:

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
She loves playing 2B and she hates pitching. She is a freshman in HS...it is time to let her do what she wants to do.

I understand where she is coming from...she plays every inning of every game. Why would she give that up to sit the bench 30% to 50% of the time to pitch?

Pitching is an entirely different game than the rest of softball. There is almost no skill overlap between the two. (At the high levels, pitchers are not even supposed to field the ball unless there is no alternative.)

Because they are so different, it is completely possible someone hates pitching but loves playing the field.

Why is this hard to understand?
It isn't hard to understand with the brain, only hard to understand with the heart.

You make excellent points, and she knows her mind. Just seems hard to swallow after spending countless hours practicing on her own time, converting the garage to a pitching zone, and spending so much on lessons. :)

She wants to leave blood on the field, and she wants to be dirty. Not really cut out for the pitching scene - but dang that change-up is Purdy.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

Why can't a pitcher hit and play other position(s) when not pitching? If she is in the top defensive 9 and top 9 offensively why someone want to keep her on the bench?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A 9th grader pitching to juniors and seniors can be intimidating! Will the team need her to pitch in future years? That should be a big factor in the decision making process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles