It happened.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
Heard some guys say that speed increases in pitching will come eradically. Well it happened. DD was 46-48 a mth ago, the last time we gunned her. She has been at 46-48 for about a year. Today we broke out the pocket radar at the end of practice. She threw 5 pitches 1 was 49 then 2 were 50 and 2 were 51. She was thrilled.

Last edited:
Speed often increases eradically. All of a sudden like you described it seems to come out of nowhere.
Lots of things contribute, i.e.:
1. lots of practice
2. competing in games
3. new/better mechanics
4. focus on speed
5. growth/strength
6. sometimes the moon, sun, and stars just align and she will have a great day

Also, speed will reduce because of a lack of any of the above.

My radar gun measures in tenths of a mph......it is really important to a student when they see their speed increase even if it is as small as one tenth mph......it is progress.

Also, there is no reason why a pitcher shouldn't be able to continue increasing her speed until she has reached her mid 20's age wise. It is a long journey.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My radar gun measures in tenths of a mph......it is really important to a student when they see their speed increase even if it is as small as one tenth mph......it is progress.

Pitch speed is a very "quantifiable" measurement of progress, but I would caution against using it as the only measurement. I know a lot of pitchers who would trade a couple of MPH for more movement on their breaking pitches!!!!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Pitch speed is a very "quantifiable" measurement of progress, but I would caution against using it as the only measurement. I know a lot of pitchers who would trade a couple of MPH for more movement on their breaking pitches!!!!

I know a lot of breaking ball pitchers who would gladly take those couple of MPH in a straight up exchange for their parents or a sibling or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom