Issue with Mizuno Glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I see Vinci is the glove of choice here. Is there any other glove that is better than Mizuno?

There are other Mizuno gloves better than the Mizuno MVP. That said, even the MVP lineup has some variation in quality. A player on my DD's TB team has a new, all-black MVP that I think is quite nice for a $100-ish glove. However, I don't expect it to be a long-term piece of gear for her.

As for "better" gloves, there are lots. Vinci, All-Star, Rawlings, Wilson... A lot of it comes down to personal preference and budget.

Jun 19, 2016
A year and a half sounds pretty good for a sub $100 glove. I was looking at the MVP Prime today. I found one that was 12.5 so I put my hand in it and I was surprised how hard it was to close considering it had the break in notch. The Finch gloves seem to be easy to open and close but they have that super processed leather. Accordingly, I am not convinced the power close notch is all it is cracked up to be.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
There are other Mizuno gloves better than the Mizuno MVP. That said, even the MVP lineup has some variation in quality. A player on my DD's TB team has a new, all-black MVP that I think is quite nice for a $100-ish glove. However, I don't expect it to be a long-term piece of gear for her.

As for "better" gloves, there are lots. Vinci, All-Star, Rawlings, Wilson... A lot of it comes down to personal preference and budget.

Mizuno 12" GGE11 Global Elite Baseball Fielder's Mitt, Tan, Right Hand Throw 41969366974 | eBay
Here's the better Mizuno Eric is referring to, on another planet from the MVP series! I think the GGE-11 may be discontinued, Cheap Bats was blowing them out a couple of months back for $159 which was a smoking deal.

Jun 19, 2016
May 24, 2013
So Cal
A year and a half sounds pretty good for a sub $100 glove. I was looking at the MVP Prime today. I found one that was 12.5 so I put my hand in it and I was surprised how hard it was to close considering it had the break in notch. The Finch gloves seem to be easy to open and close but they have that super processed leather. Accordingly, I am not convinced the power close notch is all it is cracked up to be.

The Miz Finch gloves are targeted at the very bottom of the entry-level player market - easy to use right off the shelf for little hands.

The MVP series is decent mid-level stuff, but will eventually become fairly useless. How quick depends on how much it's used, how it's taken care of (this is a huge factor), and whether it was broken in properly to start with. They break in pretty easily with only a moderate amount of mafia-style beat-down. If you're looking for a glove to last a reasonable amount of time under moderate-heavy use, one that is game-ready (easy to close) off the shelf is probably not a good choice.

As for the "power close" notch, it's a marketing play pretending to be a positive feature. It also promotes a single-hinge, thumb-to-index break-in pattern, which is not ideal in a full-size glove.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I believe those are steerhide gloves, and also the reason I don't recommend the 22 series Vinci gloves for people that are going to use it more than a season or two , or as a secondary glove (like someone who plays 1 game at first base a weekend) as they just don't hold up to the rigors of every day play for longer than that.

Hey Drakemir, sorry but I've got to disagree with your comparison of steerhide to kip unless you're just comparing Vinci's 22 series steerhide leather to Vinci's Kip leather? As someone who's had probably 10 Vinci's through my hands, and probably 8 of those kip, I'll take a steerhide Heart of the Hide Rawlings, whether it be their horween or Japanese tan leather any and everyday of the week over Vinci's Kip. There's no comparison! I also have a 30+ year old Wilson A2000 XLO that's Japanese tan leather, it's been through the ringer and I still use it, they don't make a Vinci today that could stand up to what that Wilson has seen over the past 3 decades!
Not a slam on Vinci, we use them and my DD loves them (more than me lately) I just don't agree with the steerhide comparison. You should buy a Rawlings PRO1000HC from Don Morton's sports and experience the wow factor for yourself.

Edit: BTW, the steerhide leather on the last JCV-22 mitt was outstanding!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs