Issue with Mizuno Glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
My daughter pitches. She is 5'-5" tall and has small hands. She pitches(throws) Right handed. She has Mizuno glove 12". The issue she is having with her glove is where her four fingers go into the glove. When she folds (her hand) glove she has created bulge or bump in the glove. The leather has started to stick or protrude out (like a bump in the glove). She says sometimes it pops the ball out of her glove.

What are my solution(s)
1. Is the glove to big?
2. need a new glove?
3. re-steam it?
4. Is there solution to this problem?
5. ?

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I have a mizuno that does exactly the same thing. Never had so many balls pop out as did this year.

1. Possibly. dd's is an 11.5. She is was 10 and her hand does not go very far into the glove.
2. I think yes. It helped my DD so far
3. No that will make it swell more IMO
4. See #2 :)

Bought a Fortus from drakemir. She really likes it.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2012
in my opinion, Mizunos have a design flaw with the "break in notch". This causes the glove to pancake and makes it difficult for players to field balls. Find a glove with more form (naturally open) and the players will learn how to properly field balls with soft hands as opposed to trapping balls with a pancake.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
IMG_1459.jpg
Model
IMG_1461.jpg
Resting. You can see the hump in the fold.

IMG_1462.jpg
This is with my fingers pushing where her fingers pushed it closed.

I also have a 12.5 in this same glove. She hasn't used it so it's not collapsing like this one but it also hasn't seen the amount of sweat this one has. Her previous mizuno totally broke down inside the glove. It was a $60 amazon. These two red and black ones were $100 on amazon. (Intended to send one back but I never did.)

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
My DD has the same issue with her 11.5 MVP after 1 1/2 years. The leather in the palm and around the wrist starts to get really loose. Her last practice was the last time she will use it as it kept falling off. Sort of expected it for the price but it's still a nice transition glove.

Time to have her start using her next glove that's already nicely broken in for her.

May 28, 2014
I believe those are steerhide gloves, and also the reason I don't recommend the 22 series Vinci gloves for people that are going to use it more than a season or two , or as a secondary glove (like someone who plays 1 game at first base a weekend) as they just don't hold up to the rigors of every day play for longer than that.

This is my DD's BV1929-L Kip Limited, 100 games a year, over almost 3 years. None of that distortion that you see in the steer hide.

http://i.imgur.com/dWmC244.jpg

This is my 22 series glove that I currently use as my glove, mainly to warm up my kids, and take throws at the bucket for the head coach at practice, etc you can see that it is getting a little of that distortion going on , been using it about a year.

http://i.imgur.com/1wNqO1g.jpg

also to note, that my DD's BV1929 was broken in wrong, and has a single hinge - so the amount of work on that line is significant.

So, for TLDR - Buy a new one, not sure how old she is, but might be time to move a upper end glove depending on what level she plays at.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs