Is this obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
You don't need to make an "attempt to advance." You can be obstructed on an attempt to retreat. Refusing to call obstruction when she's going back to third makes no sense. What if they tag her out?
I didn't say you HAD to make the attempt, I said you'd rarely get the call if you don't. I think this particular scenerio is a bit of a gray area. I think this may just be one of those "had to see it" calls. What I meant was that I'd be slow to call obstruction on a play where the runner wasn't really obstructed from doing what she appeared to be determined to do anyway prior to the fielder's act.

May 23, 2018
Runner on third standing between 3rd and home. Catcher has the ball after the pitch. 3rd baseman puts her gloved hand right in front of runner's eyes, with glove open toward catcher but blocking runner's view. 3rd baseman did that until our runner went back to 3rd. Is this obstruction?

This happened every time our runner is on 3rd base trying to run home. Our girls are very good in reading the situation, but this 3rd baseman kept putting her gloved hand right in our runner's view. I never saw this before, so I'm wondering if this was an automatic obstruction.
Somebody asked the most relevant question - what age group and what skill level? I’m assuming that the third baseman was preparing for a play. I m confused, is the runner between home plate and the third baseman? Is she in foul or fair territory? Assuming that it’s a right handed third baseman, and that the runner is in foul territory, then no, it wouldn’t be an obstruction. Smart players will try and run through the glove to try and generate an obstruction call. You don’t need actual contact for an obstruction call. If the runner

May 23, 2018
Lol...what age group is this?

Contact isn't necessary to impede a runner. If it's not obstruction, it seems very close. If the runner moving toward Home was hit in the face by the 3B's empty glove, that should certainly be enough. At a minimum, that bush-league move should draw a "WTF are you doing" question from the umpire along with a warning to stop it.

It always amuses me when girls do stuff to each other that would quickly bring two guys to blows.

I also think that the age group and skill level come into play here. If this was a B level 12u I would not be inclined to call this.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I also think that the age group and skill level come into play here. If this was a B level 12u I would not be inclined to call this.

My question was based on the knowledge that more of this BS happens in younger age groups. If it becomes obstruction, it should be called regardless of age or skill level. At a minimum, I'd let the offending team know that it had my attention.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13