Is this legitimate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
My daughter received an email that states she was selected by Northern Light Sports to join an elite U19 team traveling to Holland in the summer of 2012 to represent the USA in an international Softball tournament.

I’ve learned to be suspicious of anything on the net is this legitimate? Or does anyone know? :confused:

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I got one similar. But it was from Holland, a 25 year old blonde bombshell who wants to meet me!!! I only need to send her $2500 for a plane ticket. :) NOT!!!!!

Somewhere you have left "cookies" in your softball searches or purchases online. We have got some really weird emails about softball over the years, most are spam that made it into your regular mail folder.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
My daughter received an email that states she was selected by Northern Light Sports to join an elite U19 team traveling to Holland in the summer of 2012 to represent the USA in an international Softball tournament.

I’ve learned to be suspicious of anything on the net is this legitimate? Or does anyone know? :confused:

There are a number of Companies that put on those type of trips. In fact a few years ago, my DD traveled with a group of HS and CC players to Italy to meet and play teams in Milan, Florence and Rome. She had a blast on the trip, it was well organized and a great expereince to see europe and play softball. The group she traveled with was "America's Team".

Mar 13, 2010
Did she email them? Did she try out?

If she didn't then I wouldn't trust it. It's not unusual (I had friends do it, I went to New Zealand but my parents wouldn't let me try out for the team that went to America) But getting something unsolicited? Strange.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD is also traveling to Italy this year with America's team. That organization relies on referrals from coaches and operate in conjunction with ACIS, which is an educational travel company that's been around awhile. I would email them and ask how they got her name. If she has a recruiting website, they may have gotten it from there. You can also check with the BBB and the Secretary of State's office for the state in which they're incorporated to see if there are any complaints.

Oct 19, 2009
From the email.
How do we find our players? NLS takes great pride in selecting top quality players for our teams. We most likely found you by researching on the NCSA or you were referred to us by an NLS college coach. Either way, you deserve the opportunity and we would be happy to have you join us.

Seems like it is legitimate, from what I discovered, I was hoping someone else had recieved this. Daughter had a great year in summer ball last year and her coach posted player stats on different sights and she was approached by a number of coaches, maybe that is how they picked her. Looks like the cost is maybe out of my range though. Looks like a great opportunity. :)

Thanks for the replys! :cool:

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
I looked into one we got a year or so ago. In the end there was a lot of talk about being on the USA team, however it was little more than a vacation to another country where DD would get to play in some softball games. The one we saw was run by a company that did other things (once you dug deeper) like school trips to DC, etc.

Nothing wrong with the concept, just need to understand that it probably isn't going to get any notice from college recruiters, etc. If your family is like mine, most of our vacations center around softball (Colorado in June and Alabama in July this year!). Adding in the fun and excitement of visiting a foreign country and watching some softball could be fun. In the end, like SBFamily, we looked at the costs and decided not to do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad