Is there a base path between 3rd and home?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Base path (from ASA rule 1) A line directly between a base and that runners position at the time a defensive player is trying to tag the runner.

Rule 8-7-A (The runner is out) When running to any base in regular or reverse order and the runner runs more than 3 feet from the base path to avoid being touched by the ball in the hand or glove of a fielder.

First, a clean question. 8u ASA tournament ball (consider it 10u for this question) Runner running home catcher has ball and attempts to make a tag. Runner shifts path, changing her path to avoid the attempted tag of catcher. Umpire immediately calls her out.

Immediately have 4 parents behind dugout yammering 'She can't be out..... there is no base path between 3rd and home'.

I can't find my 2005 umpire case book atm, but couldn't find that in the ASA rulebook.

Is 'There is no base path between 3rd and home' another one of those softball rule myths?

I'm not sure the girl ran 3 feet out of the basepath to avoid the tag, but if she did, I agree with the umpires call.

Jun 22, 2008
Home is a base just like 1st, 2nd or 3rd, the only difference is a runner never occupies it. Same rules apply between 3rd and home as between any other bases. If the runner runs more than 3' outside of their base path to avoid a tag they are out.

Mar 15, 2014
The base line is an imaginary line between all four bases--and that includes 3rd to home.
A base path is the path the runner takes to get to each base.
In theory a runner on first could run to the right field fence, do a cartwheel and then run to second.
This is her base path.
However, once a fielder has the ball and is attempting a tag the runner cannot deviate more than 3 feet to avoid the tag.
In other words, a runner is not out for being out of the line, but for being out of the base path.
How does an umpire judge the 3 foot deviation--if the defensive player takes a step and a reach but misses the tag then the runner is out for the violation and the ball remains live.

Dec 7, 2011
We had a state game decided by a inbound runner "juke" around the catcher that umps called safe. It happened and I yelled out loud "hey, she can't do that,......can she?" :confused:

Mar 15, 2014
We had a state game decided by a inbound runner "juke" around the catcher that umps called safe. It happened and I yelled out loud "hey, she can't do that,......can she?" :confused:
What do you mean by "juke'?
If you mean she danced around her then yes, as long as she did not deviate more than 3 feet from her base path.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
"Juke" to fake a movement to left or right but not actually go in that direction. Causing the defensive player to move in the direction you faked.

If base runner never moved out the base path (line) but the defensive person did - runner is safe.

We had a similar situation earlier this year during school ball but we was on the receiving end of the fake. Ump called runner out and of course the other coach protested, rightfully so, and call was over turned. It was a good move on runner part and got them a score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877