Is the average 9-10yo athletic ENOUGH to throw a ball correctly?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I hold the working theory that almost anyone can learn to throw a ball.

Am I right? Or is the percentage a lot smaller than I believe it is? Is it possible that the basic ability to throw a ball isn't so basic, after all, and is actually more related to natural talent?

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Body awareness is the limiting factor in my opinion. The more aware they are, the more they can then start to replicate the motions needed. JMO

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Any child can learn to throw the ball, *if* you start early enough.

People who play softball/baseball underestimate the complexity throwing a softball. To throw a ball so that it ends up at 4 feet off the ground no matter if the distance is 10 feet or 150 feet is very, very hard. The brain and muscles have to be programmed to make instantaneous decisions about distance to the target, the release angle of the ball, and the speed of the ball.

There was a kid who had about 10X the athletic ability of my kids. She never played pitch and catch with her Dad (she was into other sports), so she was completely lost when it came to throwing the ball. She tried to start playing when she was 12, but she was way behind other kids as to throwing. She could hit and catch the ball OK, but she never learned how to throw the ball.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Is the average 9-10 year old athletic enough to throw a ball correctly? Absolutely yes.

Is the average parent or coach of a 9-10 year old smart enough to be able to teach said 9-10 year old to throw correctly? No.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I have a theory on girls and boys throwing that is only half facetious. Boys throw all the time for all sorts of reasons. To a boy, rock + duck on a pond = throwing practice. Most girls would never think to throw a rock at a duck, squirrel or their friends. As a result, boys throw more, with a purpose, which helps them learn faster.

I believe anyone can be taught to throw, however. They simply have to be willing to learn. I've had plenty of players (females) who throw every bit as hard as a boy, and they do it with a larger, heavier ball.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Is the average 9-10 year old athletic enough to throw a ball correctly? Absolutely yes.

Is the average parent or coach of a 9-10 year old smart enough to be able to teach said 9-10 year old to throw correctly? No.

Add average rec coach (and maybe TB coach too) to your statement and I'm with you 100%

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have worked with both boys and girls that could not throw the ball properly and even after working hard with them for an entire season during practice they still do not necessarily throw correctly.

Maybe I do not do it correctly but I think it might be the hardest softball/ baseball skill to teach.

We will have 2 players on the team this year “who cannot throw”. Forget the arm and hands; I cannot get their feet working. After working with a player for a few months last year I would bet money they will still step to throw with their right leg, RH player. Try stepping with your throwing arm foot and throwing, it feels really awkward.

It is what they have done for 11 years so it is a hard habit to break. If someone helped them when they were 4 or 5 throw something it would be ingrained after 6 more years already, unfortunately a bad habit has been practiced for 6 years.

I agree with Ken’s premise that generally less boys fall into this category for the reasons he mentioned not based on any inherited skill.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
As the fatrher of a girl who threw the dreaded "ground spike - think grounding the ball in football to stop the clock"; it takes lots of time, practice and patience to teach these kids how to throw properly. It took me two years to break the "ground spike habit"; even today when DD's feet get lazy she may "spike one" when we play catch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild